Ergonomics for showers?

Page 2 of 2

OK, that's ergonomics but it's not as obvious as you make out. Is a "knob" (usually cheap and often crystal) type easy to grasp with soapy hands? I have some cross types (Chicago Faucets) for my bucket filler which are lethal: the arms of the cross are too long and too sharp. Lever types (especially singles) are not obvious in function, at least to me. The first time I saw one (in a hotel somewhere) I asked for an instruction manual. "Low force levels" would seem to be correct but really you don't want such low force levels that the lever moves on its own, nor that the slightest nudge from you goes from boiling to freezing.
But if you do the Consumer Reports -type testing or where appropriate the epidemiologist's scientific type you'll take all the above and many more items into consideration and arrive at a correct solution. It's this work and testing that I hope someone else has done and published.

I'm not sure that's quite what I'm after but thanks anyway.

Sample size = one. Category = anecdote. Utility = (nicely) modest.
Now if I could collect a few thousand people like this, structure their responses, have them shift to other people's homes (get some experience), I could write my own book. <g>

Not if you are looking for the part number of the "perfect faucet" -- that's as likely as finding the "perfect car". Personal preference plays too big a part for there to be any single "correct" faucet.

That's a different book than the one you asked for.
Please don't misunderstand me here -- I am very aware that there are very many badly designed and built faucets. They can be too difficult to grasp or turn, poor temperature adjustment, uncomfortable, difficult to clean, even short lived and leaky. On the other hand, there are some out there that are well built and ergonomically satisfying. The trick isn't finding the perfect faucet, but to find one that is "good enough" (or even "great").

Up until this point, I appreciated your goals. But now, I'm wondering if you iron your socks.

LOL! No I don't iron my socks or anything at all for that matter (after I get through with the shower I'll redesign the functionality of the laundry).
The single lever faucet is not so easy to understand. How can a single lever control both the heat of the water and its flow (cfm)? Is there some nanny deciding what temperature water I should shower in? If I take too much hot the great-nanny-in-the-sky will come along and say "You have to eat the cake too, not just the icing" or in this case "Here's some cold to give some pain with your pleasure." In fact, depending on water flow this does really happen. I want more water so I push the lever all the way to the left but that then makes the water too hot. How do I get more water without increasing or decreasing the temperature? Yeah, I know now--change the shower head--but it's not so obvious especially the first time you see one.

Who cares how it works? I have a single knob Moen in the shower. It works. A few years back, the debris from the deteriorating dip tube in my water heater caused problems inside the Moen faucet. Moen sent me new parts for free, although the problem was in no way the fault of their product. So....a faucet that works and a company that's obsessive about keeping customers happy.
Oh....and the Moen was installed when my son was about 3. He figured it out immediately. :-) Any kids in your family who could assist you when faucets confuse you?