EPA to protect small engines

Page 2 of 4
On Sat, 22 Sep 2012 02:00:17 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@sdf.lNoOnSePsAtMar.org (Larry W) wrote:

virtually impossible to adjust the carb on most small engines to make it possible to run different fuels.

so the environmentalists were (almost) correct the whole time: reduce, reuse, recycle
and they should have added repair, although that could fit in reuse

Au contraire !!
I think they should put the gasoline in one pump, and the ethanol in another, and the customer could buy them separately...
.... a lot more mason jars would be sold....you betcha !!

*Great* idea! Somehow I bet the amount of E going into automobiles would be nil. Don't drink and drive.

...but you'd have to buy it four gallons at a time! ;-)
On 9/19/2012 11:05 AM, Robert wrote:

the ethanol cannot leave the plant without gasoline in it.
--
Steve Barker

That sounds kind of nuts. You mean if I'm a company processing corn into ethanol I have to buy gasoline to put in it? How much do I have to put in? I would have thought the ethanol went from a company that distills it from corn to a gasoline company that then blends it into their products.
<stuff snipped>

Is that an ATF thing?
-- Bobby G.

Until some reference shows that it's true, I'm not buying it. Certainly ethanol has been leaving distilleries for industrial use forever. What does he claim they do with ethanol going into a company using it in a chemical manufacturing process? Put gasoline in that too?

which puts the lie to the statement that taking ethanol out would lower the price of gas
On 9/20/2012 12:50 AM, Malcom "Mal" Reynolds wrote:

Depends, There are tax exemptions and subsidies for the ethanol blend. So while it is true that "standard" gasoline costs more at wholesale it is because we aren't directly paying the full cost of the ethanol blend.
If gasohol was successful, it would succeed on its own. Not having to be pushed on us by government mandate.
Depends, There are tax exemptions and subsidies for the ethanol blend. So while it is true that "standard" gasoline costs more at wholesale it is because we aren't directly paying the full cost of the ethanol blend.

If Nuclear Energy was safe, it wouldn't need gov't exemptions from liability issues resulting in the odd nuclear accident

Malcom "Mal" Reynolds wrote:

If such exemptions exist, I rather suspect they are meant to cover the case, soon after the plant goes on-line, where a woman 65 miles away gives birth to a baby of indeterminate sex whose entire body is covered with a light green fur and will eat only bananas. This heart-breaking event must be caused by the nuclear power plant and home-town juries will certainly sympathize.
The people who make the laws know how the plaintiff bar thinks.

nope, it sets a clear limit to their liability in the case of a nuclear meltdown
just check out the Price-Anderson Act which limits the amount of insurance plants must carry and caps the liability of the plants due to serious accident or attack
<https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q che:y1MENzcMRC4J:www.citizen.org/document s/Price%2520Anderson%2520Factsheet.pdf+nuclear+power+plant+liability+limit&hl=en& gl=us&pid=bl&srcidGEESg7WgSTM7VoJ74SEQ8D5k8_hvYhmGRy9cq7vgrRoNuY492D3DCotkUPqI B_voLn8NMS9eBQEqQ-m5yletsEfYOwEfH7ydsURlbxqz4Y7nrsha9zAwKWMere8KNrza1zEiRSoCwu&si g=AHIEtbTcMetBdZVMXydcKQzs0EsJ395VuA>
the people who made this law know how big business thinks. power to the de-regulators
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds wrote:

You're assuming the retail price is totally governed by cost + markup.
In this case, the retail price may be governed more by market demand, that is, what the buyer is willing to pay. Some people will pay a premium for the undiluted stuff.

which would mean that more and more stations would sell E-free to take advantage of this, but strangely they aren't
On Sep 20, 12:50am, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds" <atlas-

Geez. There is an obvious difference in having a unique product right now, ie gas without E in it and taking the E out of most of all of the gas. Right now they are charging a PREMIUM for the gas without E because they know there is a select market that is willing to pay more, eg someone with a small engine.
E still costs more per gallon equivalent than gasoline. And that is even with all the subsidies added in, which just make the comparison worse. Take it out and the price of gas will go down.
Some oil execs out there have to be smiling all the way to the bank. Gas without E costs less to produce, and they are now charging more.
Geez. There is an obvious difference in having a unique product right now, ie gas without E in it and taking the E out of most of all of the gas. Right now they are charging a PREMIUM for the gas without E because they know there is a select market that is willing to pay more, eg someone with a small engine.
E still costs more per gallon equivalent than gasoline. And that is even with all the subsidies added in, which just make the comparison worse. Take it out and the price of gas will go down.
On Thursday, September 20, 2012 12:46:06 PM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Absolutely right. I have a retired friend who was a superindendent at our local refinery tell me this. It was the same when I was in the fibers business. Product yields were in the 99+% for continuous process of spinning something like polyester where a spinneret could last for over a month before changing. What cost was switching from one product to another on the production line. In the case of polyester, it might cost half a shifts production and loss of yield to switch over. That's what happens when all these botique gasolines are mandated by technically ignorant politicians.
On 9/20/2012 12:59 PM, Frank wrote:

without E costs less to produce, and they are now charging more. Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org .

local refinery tell me this. It was the same when I was in the fibers business. Product yields were in the 99+% for continuous process of spinning something like polyester where a spinneret could last for over a month before changing. What cost was switching from one product to another on the production line. In the case of polyester, it might cost half a shifts production and loss of yield to switch over. That's what happens when all these botique gasolines are mandated by technically ignorant politicians.

Actually the refineries aren't involved. You can't ship ethanol or ethanol blends through pipelines because of steel corrosion issues. The way they do it is to blend it in at the loading rack at the terminal.