engineered floor over concrete subfloor, glue-down or floating?

Hello,

I just bought a one story 50-year old house in the bay area that is on a concrete slab. I would like to install a hardwood floor, I would like to see what you recommend. Installing over concrete, I know I need an engineered floor. What is the best way to install it, glue-down or floating floor?

With a floating floor, I can place a vapor barrier and pad between the concrete and engineered floor. I assume this will make it a little softer to walk on. The glue-down method would have the wood directly attached to the concrete, therefore much harder to walk on. I assume installation of the floating floor is much easier.

Thanks, Mark

Reply to
Mark

floating floor would be much better concrete I can almost guarantee is not level

Wayne

Reply to
wayne

You must use a barrier and float the floor if it is on or below grade. I use Mannington and had great results. It is just over a year now. Check out

and you can see the instruction manual.

A couple of hints:

Buy knee pads Buy a dovetail saw for $10 to cut the bottom of the door jambs. It was $10 at Home Depot. Miter saw is nice to have for the cutting. Carefully remove the baseboard, mark them for location, clean and paint as needed and you can easily put them back in place.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Check the manufacturers installation procedures, many wood laminates (not the formica or pergo types) can be glued directly to concrete at or below grade. Make sure you use the recommended adhesive as well. Floating is a lot less messy and the fumes from some of the adhesives used to glue down floor can be pretty strong.

Good luck, Adam

Reply to
Adam

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com (Mark) wrote in news:5a4701fd.0410201531.23009b65 @posting.google.com:

I glued directly to the concrete slab with no problems. I used Bruce engineered flooring and also their glue. No problems after 3 years.

However, if I were doing it again, I think I would glue a cheap linolume (sp) down over the slab (non wax, and sand it first), and glue to that. Just as an extra point of saftey.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Solly

Hi Dave,

How is the feel of the glued down floor? Is it a little too hard to walk on? I am leaning towards installing a floating floor so that I can have the pad underneath to make it softer.

Thanks, Mark

Reply to
Mark

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com (Mark) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

It's hard, but I don't mind it. It is a lot better than the hollow sound of a floating floor. Be sure you walk on a floating floor with shoes before you decide. I hate the sound.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Solly