emergency heating of home with hot water tank

Page 2 of 3

in buffalo ny: we had 9 days no power in october 2006 wet 24" snowstorm. i never played with garden hose heating; i think your bathtubs and washtubs and gas stove will prove more powerful. we have our 50 gallon natural gas water heater at 175 degrees F. [but don't burn your little kids]. arrange your hot showers with the bathroom door open to warm and humidify the house. when you run out of squeaky clean occupants use the shower to fill the tub with HOT water, turning it into a big radiator. oven won't operate? start boiling spaghetti pots full of water for heat and humidity [and food]. [gee, that microwave popcorn will suddenly become less poppable.] electric coffee maker will also be at rest, like the can opener. use the natural gas stove [but not when sleeping or away from home] as if it is roasting a turkey, with a nearby window opened for oxygen replacement. is your gas stove is too new-fangled? right now check it out: electrically unplug it: then light the oven pilot manually [may take 45 seconds] to stay lit and relight the main burner to cycle the turkey's 400 degree oven. or install a millivolt gas direct vented wall heater to be a safe secondary source of 24-hour heat. [never an unvented one because in practical occasional use nobody wants to open a window in winter for proper combustion as they require.] find the snowsuits. find extra blankets. you will run out of working flashlights within the first day like we did, and be surprised to find out that C and D batteries have vanished from store shelves along with most flashlights in town. put the food ouside the house if it's below 40F there. use ziploc bags of packed fresh snow for your indoor coolers and refrigerators. now: buy more blankets.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Spring and summer are the good times to score snowmobile and decent insulated ski suits from the Goodwill etc, along with mummy bags and x-country skis. If ya get snowed in..you can be quite mobile with a pair of used Cross Country skis and "shoes", picked up at the second hand store for $5 (dont forget the ski poles of a proper length). Even if you havent used x-country skis before..they are simple enough when on the flat.
Coleman stoves and lanterns are also found regularly at secondhand stores and swap meets/yard sales. Test em and be sure to replace the generators on them if they show any sign of acting up, and keep a couple dozen mantles on hand with some stick matches. WHile Coleman type fuel is prefered..any gasoline lantern will actually work ok with automotive fuel Just dont store them with automotive gas in them, else it turns to goo and plugs up everything over time..and not a long time either.
A Coleman lantern will do a fair job of heating a single average sized room for at least 6 hours on a few ounces of fuel. Same with the Coleman 2 and 3 burner liguid fuel stoves, which hold about 8 ounces of liquid fuel at a time, and allow you to cook as well as warm up a room.
They do generate some CO..so keep some ventelation going.
Gunner

Political Correctness
My prediction is that in about half a year, we'll see used generators going cheaply. Buy up, and be ready for the next storm.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.
Stormin Mormon wrote:

From where? If you needed it once, you'll probably need it again. I still have mine, and check that it still works, since hurricane Floyd of 1997.
--
Bill
in Hamptonburgh, NY

There are apparently lots of people who don't understand, or who don't apply that.
I recall a post on this NG (music.survivalism) some time ago, about seeing people lining up at a store to return plywood (bought to cover windows), shortly after a huricaine had passed.
--
Want Freebies?
http://www.TheFreeStuffList.com /

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Used bottled water.
Interesting concept! <g>
Notan

When we had the grid fail in Ohio, gennys were at a premium and I assumed a few good deals would percolate after the panic...it never happened.
On the other hand, maybe not.
Since you were there for the grid failure, presumably, what was your experience? Did you take your Ohio Brush Bag to town, and get some action?
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

It was very hot and I'm an air conditioning kinda' guy. I closed the plant and I headed for the family's cottage on Lake Erie eighty miles away. I ran the AC and went swimming and watched DVDs. It was tough, I ran out of coffee filters and had to drive up to the Wal-Mart 3 miles away. Those will be in my scram-bag from now on! The other big problem was that it was tourist season and all the bar and restaurant prices were up. I could see on the news when the power was back on in Cleveland and headed back.
So, my survival strategy is to get out of town and head toward a secure place that I know if fully stocked. I have access to places in three states and four places in Ohio. I keep 20 gallons of gas at home which gives me an additional 200 miles to find more. In addition to whatever in my 36 gal tank. Off hand, I have most people beat in preparedness. I also have all my fly-in fishing gear in 3 big waterproof tubs. Everything I need is in there as everything is cleaned and repacked after every trip. But no firearms are packed for Canadian trips. I can grab those with plenty of ammo in a heartbeat, along with two 5 gallon water carriers. What are my weak points?
On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 13:38:42 -0500, "Tom Gardner"

Road closures. What are your plans for "bugging in"?
Gunner
Political Correctness

.22 at work with a brick?
On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 15:14:05 -0800, "Tom Gardner"

Shop cats will only stretch so far, even with rice.
Gunner
Political Correctness

We still have a pack of feral dogs running around, ask Tho for recipes for me.
On Wed, 20 Dec 2006 03:08:14 GMT, "Tom Gardner"

Hell..its on the net
http://www.flickr.com/photos/loupiote/sets/1652923 / http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/Content?oid455
Gunner

. I once thought that too.
I have yet to find a "deal" on a good generator.
Take a look at Ebay and watch what the used generators go for...best to buy it new and know what you have.
TMT
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Tom Gardner (nospam) wrote:

Ditto the Y2K flop. I figured there'd be lots of NIB generators at all the garage sales. There weren't.
All the Y2K buying and early computer upgrades were probably part of the economy run-up and subsequent slow-down.

Cool thought! I wonder if we can create a new situation just before the previous one peters out thus having a continual growth spurt.
Tom Gardner (nospam) wrote:

I think I've got it!
Y2.01K! It's just 3 years away.
On Sun, 17 Dec 2006 23:27:26 GMT, "Stormin Mormon"

Around here (SW Fla) generators are always in demand but you might get a deal on one that won't start right now because the construction people are not snapping them up. Usually anything that looks like it will ever run again are sold at an appreciable portion of the retail price. Of course you can get a great deal with one that has 5,000 hours on it from a construction guy but it is a boat anchor.