emergency heating of home with hot water tank

My prediction is that in about half a year, we'll see used generators going cheaply. Buy up, and be ready for the next storm.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

The theory being that by the time the water gets to the end of the hose, it's lost its heat. I don't know how effective this is, but I did hear it mentioned on the AM radio one time when there was a power cut near me.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Since the water flow is very slow, the WH has plenty of time to recover.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

There are apparently lots of people who don't understand, or who don't apply that.

I recall a post on this NG (music.survivalism) some time ago, about seeing people lining up at a store to return plywood (bought to cover windows), shortly after a huricaine had passed.

Reply to
<usenet2006

Yup. I nailed blankets over a wide doorway in the early 1980&#39;s to cut down my heat bill in eastern SoDak. It helped a lot.

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

Maybe more efficient to use "space blankets"?

Reply to
<usenet2006

From where? If you needed it once, you&#39;ll probably need it again. I still have mine, and check that it still works, since hurricane Floyd of 1997.

Reply to
Willshak

Of course, if you&#39;re indoors, have food, and wearing appropiate clothes, it would have to be well below zero before you&#39;re actually in any danger, or even particular discomfort. Put on a hat that covers your ears, a scarf, light gloves, and better socks.

Reply to
Goedjn

The spray from a shower gives up heat a great deal faster than a hose will. More surface area, for one thing.

Reply to
Goedjn

From the sheeple who try to return bottled water, plywood, fire extinguishers, that kind of thing. Soon as the panic goes down a little, they will be for sale, used.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Not if I had to buy &#39;em. In those days the wolf at the door frequently barged in and ate our dinner. (He hated rice & lentils but he gobbeled them anyway.) I&#39;m now in the upper __% of income winners world-wide and history-wide, but the hurt of those early, painful, poor days is aways present. I *really* appreciate being able to go to the McDonalds drive through whenever I want, and I recall about 15+ years ago when it first became possible.

In the days I nailed blankets over the doorway, as the saying goes, "I was too poor to pay attention."

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

ooookay

Gunner

Political Correctness

Gunner

But its ok to call folks redneck, hillbilly, cracker, riechtard and so forth. THATS politically correct

Seems the Left likes to redefine Freedom of Speech to include their own actions..but not to their opponents.

Fascinating, no?

So you think that there is a clean end of a turd?

Gunner

Political Correctness

Gunner

When we had the grid fail in Ohio, gennys were at a premium and I assumed a few good deals would percolate after the panic...it never happened.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

On the other hand, maybe not.

Since you were there for the grid failure, presumably, what was your experience? Did you take your Ohio Brush Bag to town, and get some action?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Used bottled water.

Interesting concept!

Notan

Reply to
Notan

Around here (SW Fla) generators are always in demand but you might get a deal on one that won&#39;t start right now because the construction people are not snapping them up. Usually anything that looks like it will ever run again are sold at an appreciable portion of the retail price. Of course you can get a great deal with one that has 5,000 hours on it from a construction guy but it is a boat anchor.

Reply to
gfretwell

Of course not. Where would you get such an idea>? By the same definition I just gave "a policy of not crapping on people because they>>are different, especially not doing so in public", it is excluded.

You may find a couple examples, but for every one there are just as many by conservatives. Maybe no one tells you about them. There are people like this in every group.

You are being misled by right-wing jerks.

I think you lose all credibilty when you are vulgar. Are you 15 years old.

Reply to
mm

So where is the outrage when the Left does it..and does it nearly all the time? Did you view the cites above?

Seems you are in denial. The problem is large. When was the last time you heard of conservatives protesting a leftwing speaker and doing all in their power to shut them down? Campus&#39;s are particularly bad about this. The bastions of "diversity" and "freedom of expression" and they virtually riot whenever a conservative speaker comes to give a speech.

You are in denial.

Blink blink...chuckle..vulgar? So tell me old chap..what IS the proper name for a unit of fecal material?

Im 53yrs old btw..dirty fingernails and a rather blunt manner, with a tolerance for bullshit reaching zero. Ooops..vulgarity again.

Gunner

Political Correctness

Gunner

It was very hot and I&#39;m an air conditioning kinda&#39; guy. I closed the plant and I headed for the family&#39;s cottage on Lake Erie eighty miles away. I ran the AC and went swimming and watched DVDs. It was tough, I ran out of coffee filters and had to drive up to the Wal-Mart 3 miles away. Those will be in my scram-bag from now on! The other big problem was that it was tourist season and all the bar and restaurant prices were up. I could see on the news when the power was back on in Cleveland and headed back.

So, my survival strategy is to get out of town and head toward a secure place that I know if fully stocked. I have access to places in three states and four places in Ohio. I keep 20 gallons of gas at home which gives me an additional 200 miles to find more. In addition to whatever in my 36 gal tank. Off hand, I have most people beat in preparedness. I also have all my fly-in fishing gear in 3 big waterproof tubs. Everything I need is in there as everything is cleaned and repacked after every trip. But no firearms are packed for Canadian trips. I can grab those with plenty of ammo in a heartbeat, along with two 5 gallon water carriers. What are my weak points?

Reply to
Tom Gardner