electrolytic derusting with galvanized plates

Hi,
Just cleaned my table saw extension wings by electrolytic derusting with spectacular results.
But, I used galvanized ducts for metal plates so I am wondering if the zinc produced a toxic mixture that I should not dump carelessly. I read that stainless steel produces toxic waste, so what about galvanized?
Thanks,
Aaron

I can't say about the toxic nature of galvanizing but isn't there a certain amount of lead involved? I would like to suggest that you dry your table extremely well (in an oven would be good) and give it some kind of moisture-proof coating to help prevent the return of the rust. I did electrolytic reduction of a heavily-encrusted boat anchor many years ago using a stainless rod and it was spectacular, like you said. I rinsed it in boiling water three times, dried it in an oven, and coated it with lacquer as directed in a musem conservation book. After several years it has developed a small amount of rust.
On 8/20/2009 8:29 AM Ulysses spake thus:

Nope. Galvanizing = tin.
Aaron: next time try to use steel or iron for the anode. They say that's what you're s'pozed to use, although sometimes it's hard to find something the right size and shape in that material.

David Nebenzahl wrote:

Nope. Galvanizing --> _Zinc_
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galvanization>
<http://www.galvanizeit.org/aga/about-hot-dip-galvanizing/what-is-hot-dip-galvanizing/
On 8/21/2009 5:52 AM dpb spake thus:

Aaargh. Twenty lashes with a wet noodle for me ...

lvanizing/>
According to this site lead and other metals are sometimes added to the "galvanizing pot."
http://www.galvanizeit.org/images/uploads/drGalv/kettle_alloys.pdf

No idea, I usually just use scrap steel parts... but glad to hear that it worked out OK for you. I ASSume that you oiled them immediately...?
nate

During the cleaning process the current flow is reversed from plating so I dont think it would mater too much what you used for an electrode. Some old water pipe should work fine.
Jimmie