Electrical question-240V breaker.

I wanted to shut off an electric wall heater so I went to the breaker box looking for a doubled 20A breaker since the heater is 3000 watts/240V. Turned off all I could find, but the heater still works. [Long story about testing this and that breaker omitted] Turns out the heater is controlled by two 20 amp breakers, but they are not tied together. One is on the RH side of the breaker box at position #1. The second is at position #6. (both are split breakers, part of a pair that occupies one space on the breaker panel)
1. Should these two breakers be ganged together?
2. If one trips this effectively shuts down the heater doesn't it? That is, the heater will no longer provide heat.
3. Is there still a problem since the 2nd breaker hasn't tripped? I mean other than a possible danger to someone futzing around in the heater's innards.
--
charles

Add pictures here
✖
Charles Bishop wrote:

It's not really a *problem* per se (functionally that is) but it certainly is a hazard for a maintenance person and highly not to code. I suggest that it's time to rearrange your breaker panel so that the water heater can be fed by a proper 240V breaker, or worst case, two double breakers next to each other with the two handles feeding the heater tied together.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

There are a number of scenarios that could be potentially dangerous if both legs didn't trip simultaneously. Depending upon the make and model of the panel, there are half size double pole breakers, as well as dual double pole breakers (quads) to correct your situation
Add pictures here
✖
On Apr 17, 7:39 pm, snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net (Charles Bishop) wrote:

yes they should be tied together ,the heater will no longer work missing 120v,should trip if overloaded or shorts. how many space/cir panel do you have and are all your breakers tandems or 240v
Add pictures here
✖

*Absolutely. Clearly a code violation and a potential safety hazard.

*That is correct.

*Possibly. If an element happened to be shorted to ground, current would flow and the element would put out some heat where it is not supposed to. Not a likely scenario, but a possible one.
Add pictures here
✖
1. Should these two breakers be ganged together?
Yes. I'm reasonably sure the electrical code requires it. In any case, it's the safe thing to do.
2. If one trips this effectively shuts down the heater doesn't it? That is, the heater will no longer provide heat.
Yes, tripping one breaker will stop the heat from comign out.
3. Is there still a problem since the 2nd breaker hasn't tripped? I mean other than a possible danger to someone futzing around in the heater's innards.
The wires are still electrically charged, so this is a safety problem for someone futzing around in the heater's innards, trying to figure out why it's not heating. Double pole breakers aren't that expensive. Since you're asking these questions, I'm guessing you don't feel comfortable replacing your own breaker. Call a friend who is, or an electrician.
Add pictures here
✖