Electrical Permit Question

Page 2 of 2
CC,
So, the local home owners and area farmers must pass a test before they can do wiring. Look in the catalog of your local vocational/technical school, they will certainly offer a course in this. You might check with the agricultural extension service also, since local farmers certainly do a lot of wiring. I realize that you don't want to wait but to do it right I think you'll need to wait. As others have pointed, out this exam and permit system encourages illicit wiring, not that I'm suggesting that you do this.
Good luck, Dave M
Keep the government out of it. Just do the work and get on with life. This is government run amok, again. If you do all this garbage its just another fund-raiser just because they don't tax you enough already. HA. Keep you money, do the work, of course ensure you are doing it safely and move on.
Good luck

The nfpa web site has books you can order. Residential wiring is a good one, it reads like classroom textbook, but it only references the NEC. You can find that in the library. I have the 1999 version, time to upgrade myself to 2005 versions.
Another good one is the inspector's checklist, also references the NEC.
James "Cubby" Culbertson wrote:

Do "they" require a permit to just bury some plastic conduit inside the wall and put in some plastic boxes (without wires)? If not, just do that. You can build your wall and run wires as needed.
The requirement or permit comes when running the wires. Adding to an existing circuit or even adding a new one requires this "permit". It's ridiculous and as I said, I didn't know of this requirement before installing my subpanel and in floor receptacle. Ahh the beauracracy of it all... Cheers, cc