Electrical outlets stopped working

Page 2 of 2
Jo wrote: ...

It's still quite possible (and even likely, depending on when the house was built). Was a perfectly acceptable practice allowed by Code.

You reported that you had reset the GFI before. You also said that the lights going out was "new" If the lights are out, then it is a safe bet the GFI is still working. If you test the GFI (with a tester) it should be hot. This would tell you that the GFI is not the problem.

I would have bet the outlets were backstabbed, but I will take your word for it that they are not. I would still suspect the outlet. It could still be "bad" for another reason.
The vacuum could be the cause, but because it works on another circuit it would be low on the suspect list. Someone else mention the vacuum could have been the straw that overloaded the circuit, but if this were the case, the breaker would have tripped.

*
The GFCI is not going to be hot if the breaker to the bathroom has tripped. It may be "still working" (from a GFCI perspective) but it's not going to be hot if the circuit is dead.
Since the outage of the lights is new and we make the assumption (I know, I know) that the bathroom lights and bathroom GFCI are on the same circuit but that the lights are not controlled by the GFCI then it certainly sounds like the entire circuit is dead.
The GFCI can't be tested for "hot" until the power is back on and the GFCI is reset, if need be.

On Fri, 7 Jan 2011 13:07:22 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03

What I was reading into his message was that it was a circuit other than the circuit the GFI was on, since the lights went out this time. He could have verified that by testing the GFI to see if it was hot. The point being.......if the GFI is hot, then it would not be the cause of the problem.