electrical ?

got this tanning bed 12 bulbs on top 100w each with a 16 ga. cord with 20A

250v plug on it. then the bottom is the same set up 12 bulbs 100w each with a 16 ga. cord with 20A 250v plug on it. both plugs are replacements ,not what came org. so I have 2 plugs that must be plugged into 2 different 20A outlets do I have to stay with the 2 separate outlets and plugs or can I combine the two power cords at the plug and put one 40A plug on them and then run a 40A 220v line to a 40A 220V outlet the top and bottom of this bed is independed of each other along with each section having its own timer. the people I got it from had 2 outlets for it . but there seems there must be a better way to plug this in .and run less wire but a larger ga.wire.Both the top and bottom together would pull a total of 3100 watts any info. would help. I have no problem running a 40A 220v circuit but I don't know if this would be safe for the bed. you know because we are going to be inside this thing and don't want it zapping us. seems to me this would work figuring each bed cord will only pull the amps needed for that section of bed. thanks for any help.
Reply to
gg

It seems to me that your total load is about 13 amps @240 volts. If that is the case you can run one 20 amp circuit, and either use two outlets or replace both cord sets with one 20 amp cord

Reply to
RBM

Reply to
buffalobill

Just a personal comment. As a 40+ year cancer survivor who had both parents die of cancer, I suggest you may want to rethink the use of that device. It is not safe. You are doing your bodies a serious disservice.

I have had over a dozen separate operations in the last 40 years that turned out to be life threatening melanoma. Maybe another half dozen that were not cancer. Most can be directly related to sun exposure. 40 years ago I was given a 10% chance of making it five years. I am doing well, but don't bet your life on being able to do as well.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

how does 12 time a hundred twice equal 3100? I would personally doubt if the unit is even 220v. It's just uv tubes. Should run on a standard 15a

120v outlet. 'course on the other hand, why would you want a tanning bed anyway? Hoping for early skin cancer or something?
Reply to
Steve Barker LT

I was kinda wondering that myself. Maybe there's something else in there with the bulbs... like a treadmill

Reply to
RBM

I'd contact the manufacturer to see what they recommend.

Reply to
John Grabowski
12 bulbs top 12 bulbs bottom =24 total bulbs + there are fans which use 240v motors

Reply to
gg

My wife has a 26 bulb tanning bed, and it's wired for 240V 30A. Check with the manufacturer.

Reply to
J.A. Michel
700 WATTS worth of fans????! Good gawd man, that'll blow you out of the thing.
Reply to
Steve Barker LT

bet she's got skin like leather eh?

Reply to
Steve Barker LT

A single larger diameter circuit is not necessarily going to be cheaper or easier at all than two smaller circuits. Put the duplex output on two halfs of a single split 12ga circuit (with shared neutral). You'd be just using a single run of plain vanilla 12/3 romex, which is going to be a whole lot easier and cheaper than going to 10ga or thicker, or running more than one cable.

And do give my sympaties to the other patients when you get there.

-Kevin

Reply to
kevin

That would be 12x100 plus the ballast.