Electric space heater question

Page 1 of 2  
We have one of those electric heat-dish-parabolic space heaters that I was using in my living room since my fireplace is on the fritz.
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid 173501&whse¼&topnav=&browse=&lang=en-US
Do those things put off carbon monoxide?
Olddog
Add pictures here
✖
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
olddog wrote:

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid 173501&whse¼&topnav=&browse=&lang=en-US

Electric heater give off carbon monoxide? LOL ;)
Add pictures here
✖
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

I would of thought it was funny too but my detector went off and it was right by my space heater. Hell...I don't know. It's invisible and odorless.
olddog
Add pictures here
✖
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers, as Frank has demonstrated. Even though the heater is safe from CO, it is well worth the question if you have any doubt about this stuff. Many a person didn't ask and had a bad situation on some things.
Steve
Add pictures here
✖
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

What set it off was dust burning off, mine always stink for 15 minutes after a year sitting, put a plastic bag over it when you store it for the summer. So actualy for a minute it could have put out minimal Co, but it was just dust burning off.
Add pictures here
✖
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Tue, 23 Dec 2008 06:11:49 -0800 (PST), ransley

I stronly suspect it was your SMOKE detector - not a CO detector that went off.
Add pictures here
✖
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

No I've got a smoke detector too. I checked it and it's fine. I got the CO detector when I bought this house to be on the safe side. ;-)
olddog
Add pictures here
✖
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

No. To get CO, you have to have combustion.
Add pictures here
✖
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Blow cigarette smoke into a co detector, it registers, burn dust off a 800f element it will register Co.
Add pictures here
✖
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

And cigarette smoke comes from the combustion of tobacco, not an electric heater element.

And if you have anything more than a momentary blip of CO from dust on the elements, you have bigger problems.
The bottom line is that a normally operting electric heater does not produce CO.
Add pictures here
✖
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

It was strange. I've had that detector on for two years and never a peep. This morning I got up and grabbed the remote and aimed it at the TV near the detector and it went off. My natural gas fireplace WAS causing problems with soot so turned it off days ago but the detector never went off.
I put my space heater on my fireplace and the detector went off for just a couple of seconds when I aimed the remote at it.
Weird
olddog
Add pictures here
✖
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

Is it just a beep/no beep thing, or does it have digital numbers? I like the digital numbers best because they give a reading even if there's SOME CO coming out, and it doesn't have to get to high levels to make a beep.
Steve
Add pictures here
✖
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

NO! Actually you have to have INCOMPLETE combustion. Bubba
Add pictures here
✖
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Ahh, but incomplete combustion is combustion... :)
Add pictures here
✖
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

I'm thinking that ransley has it right. Even though I dusted it it still burned off. Good call.
I cleared the detector and it hasn't gone off again.
olddog
Add pictures here
✖
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
only if you tip it back and burn your trash on it.
s

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid 173501&whse¼&topnav=&browse=&lang=en-US
Add pictures here
✖
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

One of the benefits of electric heat is that there are no toxic gases produced. For the most part, you need combustion (burning) to get CO.
Add pictures here
✖
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

No gasses at your house, but the power plant may produce a lot of them. Electric is 100% efficient for the user, but rather poorly efficient use of fuel to make it. That is why electric cars are a joke.
Add pictures here
✖
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

So you are not buying a 40,000 Chevy Volt that might only go 10 miles at 0f. I dont think the Volt will do to well the way things are now.
Add pictures here
✖
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
a tenant of mine had their detector go off christmas day years ago. me police fire department and finally a furnace service guy at holiday rates :( all on the scene.......
finally traced to the kitchens cooking activities, after all it was christmas dinner.......
wierdly I had a nice time that day, a fond memory
Add pictures here
✖
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Site Timeline

Related Threads

    HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.