Electric Lawn Mower question

Has anyone used any of the electric lawn mowers? If so, do they cut well? Are they durable, and can they handle heavy weeds and tall grass? I'm considering buying one because I am tired of fighting with gas ones that dont want to start, not to mention I never have gas when I need it. What brands are good? Do they use a regular power mower type blade?

Vic

Reply to
victor_k5

I still use a 1960's twin blade Sunbeam electric for quick touch-ups.

Any electric will not have the power you are requesting.

The battery models will not have as much power or as long a duty cycle as the corded ones.

The corded models are not really any more convenient than small gas mowers when you take into account the cord and the extra maneuvering, but are usually lighter in weight.

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

Hi,

I think if you have heavy weeds and tall grass I would stick to the gasoline powered mowers. Electric ones tend to have less power. There are two kinds (1) rechargable and (2) connected via a cord. The recharable ones are handy but have less power than a corded one. The issue with cords is that they get in the way, and it is so easy to mow over your own power cord. Note a GFCI power socket is need for safety.

If you want a good mower I would recommend a Honda HRC 216 HRX. This is gasoline powered though. I have one and it works very well. It has two downsides, (1) weight 125 lbs and (2) Cost $US 1,130. This is a 21- inch commercial mower. I always use Stabil gasoline additive in the fuel.

Hope you find a good solution to your lawn needs.

warmest regards, Mike.

Reply to
hobbes

They don't do well in heavy/tall grass. Buy a reliable gas mower like a Honda Harmony series HRS216PDA. It WILL START on the first or second pull if you simply take care of you fuel by keeping it in a closed container and adding a stabilizing product like StaBil. Other than that, no maintenance needed other than a yearly oil change. Hell I have one I bought used 3 yrs ago and use it to trim around trees in my back yard. I've never changed the oil in it and other than adjusting the choke, it's been trouble free. If you had a little swatch of grass to mow in front of your patio, maybe an electric would be ok for you but from your questions it doesn't sound like a good choice.

Reply to
Meat Plow

Say what? You never change the oil?

As for the Honda mowers, I was a big fan of them too, but my opinion just went down a bit. I have a 3 speed Harmony that is about 8 years old. It's been great, up till now. The transmission just went from wear. I used it to cut about .3 acres. Really bad part is the tranny costs $130. Not sure what to do really, as the rest of it is still in great shape. But I guess 8 years isn't all that bad either.

If you had a little swatch of grass to mow in front of

Reply to
trader4

The tall grass can be handled with more frequent mowing and the weeds taken care of with an electric weed eater.

I think you'll be okay.

Reply to
HeyBub

wrote

== We have three lawnmowers--An electric start Toro gasoline mower and two corded Black & Decker mowers--the cheaper green one and an upgraded red one. My favorite of the bunch is the green B&D. It has more power, is much lighter to push than the Toro and will cut the highest weeds on our property and we have some pretty high ones from time to time. We bought the Toro after the the chute cover broke on the green B&D and it spews grass clippings all over. I can't fix that chute cover. It attaches to a plastic 'o' on the mower body. The 'o' broke and won't hold the rod anymore. The red B&D is larger and heavier than the green one. My son likes the red one. I love the green one and still use it even with the clippings flying. The Toro doesn't like grass over a few inches long. It stalls all the time if it's not on the highest setting. I guess that's why they sell it with an electric start. I hate having to mess with gasoline as well and the electric products are getting much more durable than they used to be. You can't beat the cheap green B&D corded mower. It's the best lawnmower I've ever owned for tall grass. That thing just doesn't quit. I've had it for several years and it keeps on going, even when its left out in the rain. Just wish the chute cover was more durable.

Reply to
Gini

In my youth (1960s) I cut the grass in our yard with a corded electric mower. It did fine for mowing our average suburban lawn, maybe quarter or fifth of an acre. The cord is a PITA but you get used to it, how to plan your route so it doesn't get in the way. I only cut it once :) Apart from that the mower always worked fine. The design was basically just like a gas mower with an electric motor instead of a gas engine, and an on/off switch instead of the pull starter. The one we had was very reliable, as you would expect -- it's a very simple device, very similar to an electric fan really. On the other hand, the first time I used a gas mower, it was wow -- this thing is really powerful, and I can just go wherever I want! -- H

Reply to
Heathcliff

Heathcliff wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@g12g2000prg.googlegroups.com:

In my youth I cut the grass in the yard with a reel mower. Thank goodness gramps yard was flat.

Reply to
Al Bundy

innews: snipped-for-privacy@g12g2000prg.googlegroups.com:

I remember Grampas' wheel driven push mower with the curvy blades,a big yard with steep bank and 4 Walnut trees dotted around. He was 86yo when all that(+ being a railroad man and farmer) finally killed Him..I ai'nt nuthin near tough compared to that.

Reply to
Dean