Easiest way to drain a pool (no, there isn't a pool drain)

Page 1 of 2
What's the easiest way to drain a pool at low cost?
I have a swamp that I need to drain and refill. It's a pain siphoning with a garden hose. I have a pool vacuum hose (1.5 inches in diameter) but it's hard to suction by mouth.
Any way to cheaply generate suction on a 1.5 inch vacuum hose?

Well, wet/dry shop vac comes to mind. Don't know if it is feasible but might be worth a try.

To empty a pool? The shop vacs I'm familiar with fill up the canister and then you have to turn it off and either open a drain cock or spill it out.
I see 3 choices:
A - Rent a gas powered pump and empty it out quickly.
B - Buy an electric pump and empty it out slowly over a day+
C- Adapt some of the existing pool pump plumbing to a flex hose and use that to pump it out.

I think the idea was, hook the shop vac to the 1.5 inch hose to get a siphon running.
Well, if that wasn't the idea...it's worth a try. My last go around with this was the big 1.5 inch hose is too big and the siphon lets air in and stops.
--
Dan Espen

I didn't mean to empty the pool. I meant to use the vac to generate enough vacuum to get the 1.5" hose siphoning. Then turn it off.
RonB
On 5/3/2012 6:07 PM, Arklin K. wrote:

For about $65 to $75 you can get a pump from HD or Lowes.
http://images.lowes.com/product/converted/871980/871980410628lg.jpg
It's how I drain my pond. The more you spend the faster it will drain.
If you're not in a hurry get a smaller fountain pump. Probably around $45.
On 5/3/2012 4:07 PM, Arklin K. wrote:

Submerge the hose in a manner that forces the air out as you go. Cover the end and drag it to the lower point to start the siphon.
On Thu, 03 May 2012 16:28:59 -0700, mike wrote:

That worked!
http://picturepush.com/public/8181001
I've got a ton of water coursing down the street as we type!
On 5/3/2012 8:45 PM, Arklin K. wrote:

in some jurisdictions, that's illegal. hope you're doing it at night, or during a heavy rainstorm.
On Fri, 04 May 2012 10:10:15 -0700, chaniarts wrote:

I don't know if it's illegal - but it's just water.
You could drink it (if you wanted to).
Sure, it has algae in it - but they're natural.
Anyway, there's no way the neighbors can miss it with the hose coursing out to the front yard to the sidewalk ... so ... if anyone driving by or walking by has a problem with it - I'm sure they'll knock on my door.
On 5/4/2012 10:31 AM, Arklin K. wrote:

in the places it's illegal, you can't dump anything into the storm drains, including flushing pools. it's a pretty big fine in those places. i used to live in a city like that.
On Fri, 04 May 2012 10:38:05 -0700, chaniarts wrote:

What's so bad about pool water?
It has no chlorine in it (based on my tests and those from Leslies).
You could drink it if you wanted to and it wouldn't hurt you (I don't use boron).
So why would it be illegal to water the street? It gets wet every time it rains? I don't get it (obviously I'm missing something).
On 5/4/2012 10:56 AM, Arklin K. wrote:

it's the 30-40k gallons of water into the storm drains at once. that water has to go someplace, and some cities don't want home owners to dump things in there. it's sized for rainwater, not people emptying pools.
On 5/4/2012 12:56 PM, Arklin K. wrote:

Where do you live?

Common sense. No matter how much you have, it is not a match for the government bureaucrat that has none. And he wrote the regulations.

Assuming you're not on the top of a hill ...
Look into a submersible pump. Make sure you get one that will pump 'up hill' higher than the depth of your pool. The bigger the pump the faster it will empty.

What's your definition of "low"?

Have you considered renting a commercial-type pump from an industrial- supply house?
--
Tegger

I remember trying sucking on a pool hose last year. Not so easy. I was able to stick it under water then hold my hand over the end, lift it over the edge and get the siphon flowing, but it kept loosing air and stopped. Plus the end in the pool kept floating to the surface.
Anyway, if you have more than one garden hose, try using more than one at a time.
If it's dirty water you're trying to take out to put in fresh, I wouldn't do that. I'd clean it up with the filter.
--
Dan Espen

On Thu, 03 May 2012 19:49:57 -0400, Dan Espen wrote:

Good idea.
I dunked all the garden hoses into the pool using the same method!
It's draining 30,000 gallons as we speak into the sidewalk!
http://picturepush.com/public/8181004
Go to HarborFreight.com......... Search part # 68422 . I have had this pump for over 5 years,draining my above ground pool, my hot tub and my fish pond. Drain hose hooks up to a garden hose or with either of the three adapters a larger hose. I only use the 5/8 garden hose because it is available and convenient.
Price is $49.99 then use your 20% discount and you have a great little pump for $40.00 . Yes , it is slow but works like a champ for what you are needing it for!
HTH
Bill Hall