E7014 welding rod on plated steel

Page 2 of 2

wrote

This is Turtle.
Nah ..... Couldn't be that .
TURTLE

This is Turtle
Yea thank you for telling me how to spell Newmonia the right way.
Well about the Milk with welding of Galv. metal. Well I will send a e-mail and call the Exxon Co. U.S.A. Refinery in Bayton, Texas and the Offshore Division in the Gulf of Mexico to straighten them out for requiring welders and fitters to drink the milk or wear carbon type filter mask when welding the Galv. Metal.
Well about Professional welders welding galv. metal all the timer and not having Newmonia. The reason you don't see it is all the big company that have employees who do this drink milk or wear carbon filer mask. The only time you see Industrial Newmonia is when shade tree and small company do jobs and don't care about their workers and you will see it pop up.
TURTLE
btw 7014 is great stuff for those of us who are welding challenged :)

6010 will cut right through the galvanize. There will be so little fumes from a couple of nuts and washers I wouldn't worry about it. A 7014 will have a lot of iron powder, and might give you too large of a puddle or too much filler to weld these things very well. I personally would use a E6010 DCRP, that is stinger positive. Whip the rod to stack the puddles. With the E7014, you can't whip the rod or you will lose the arc. With the E6010, when you have put enough fill metal in one spot, you can whip out and come back for another puddle next to the last one. If you have some 3/32" 6010, that would be best.
IMHO, that is. If it was in my shop, that's how I would do it. 6010 is an amazing rod, but it runs hot, and blows holes easily. It has deep penetration because of its polarity. For lighter things, I like E6011 DCEN, but that wouldn't give you the penetration into the nut that you need. In fact, in my welding book, E6011 isn't even listed as a DCEN rod, only AC and DCEP. DCEN= dc current electrode negative. I have used 3/32" E6011 DCEN to repair .065 wrought iron in the field.
Steve