Duplex type (slim) circuit breakers

Re Duplex or Twin Circuit Breakers:

I needed to get a twin 15/15 amp twin breaker for a Murray Panel. Home Depot had two nearly identical ones: Cutler Hammer BD1515 (with the "rejection tab" feature) and the BR1515 without the tab.

I had not noticed if the mating contact in the panel had the notch for the tab to go into, so I bought the BR1515 that did not have the rejection tab.

As it happens, the contact in the panel was notched.

All is well. It works fine.

Questions:

The shelf label at Home Depot said that the BR1515 was "current limiting" (I think) and the item cost $15.

The other one (BD1515) with the tab said "non current-limiting" (I think) and only cost $9 or $10.

Besides the presence or absence of the tab, what other differences are there between these items that explain the price difference?

Should I be replacing the breaker I already installed with the kind with the rejection tab, now that I know it fits? Am not concerned about the price but about any other issue that I don't undertand.

I have been unable to construct a Google search that provides me with an answer.

Thank you.

** Posted from
**
Reply to
Frank Lloyd Price

This tab is just there to keep you honest (not overloading the panel) If that slot is OK for the duplex breaker you should be fine. The other question is if the C/H breaker is "classified" as being compatible with your Murray panel. I can't offer any guidance on that. Maybe it says on the box.

Reply to
gfretwell

BR type breakers, even though manufactured by Cutler Hammer, are OK for Murray panel. They re not the CH type Cutler Hammer breakers.

Thanks.

** Posted from
**
Reply to
Frank Lloyd Price

Good to know, thanks. I have very limited experience with anything but SqD

Reply to
gfretwell

Culter Hammer bought Bryant which were pretty compatible with Murray, hence the "BR"

Reply to
RBM

. It is "Class CTL" - "circuit" limiting. The breaker tab and panel rail limit the number of poles that can be installed in the panel to the maximum number of poles the panel was tested with. (Twin is 2 poles.) .

. Interesting the price difference is that great. .

. It is a code violation to use a non-CTL breaker in a class CTL panel (everything has been class CTL for a long time).

Practical answer - I agree with gfretwell - there should be no electrical problem and the space allows a class CTL breaker, so you are not violating the intent of the code.

Reply to
bud--

Thank you for the informative responses. I understand now.

Thank you all very much.

Reply to
Frank Lloyd Price