DTV related accidents and deaths

Page 2 of 2
KLS wrote:

bingo. proof of antother Obammy voter. this one is so dumb he thinks Bush was running against Obammy.
bwahahahahahhahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
On Sun, 11 Jan 2009 15:55:35 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Well ... no. The people who are going to be surprised when they wake up on the 17th are those who didn't pay enough attention to know the switch isn't until midnight. <g>
Yes, there will be a few people who wake up Feb 18th totally oblivious. There also will be some "sensible people" who find the antenna they bought last summer based on inaccurate/incomplete information isn't doing the job they expected.

Don't confuse 'em with the facts. I'm waiting to see how many fall off the roof trying to install the converter box on their antenna.
-- Jack
Jack Hunt wrote:

bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
govt is turning off tv only for Obammy voters. whatta bunch Obamorons.
hehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I tried that. My box works, but aside from PBS, there are no other channels. They said that until Feb 17, they are low power. That makes it hard to do any testing. I'm in a fringe area.
Jim
On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 17:33:22 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

What a mess - particularly SE of Pittsburgh. If there are hills between the transmitters and that area, the probable cause of loss of signal is WTAE going from VHF to UHF.

Same here with three stations that went from VHF to UHF. I just found out last weekend that one of the two remaining stations is moving their transmitter 11 miles. The FCC map shows it where it is now, on the same tower as the transmitter for the other station. I have emailed the FCC politely pointing out the error. But I doubt it will ever reach anyone who knows what I'm writing about, let alone cares.
You have two decent newspapers in Pittsburgh. Have you tried a litter to the editor?

A letter to the editor about exactly what? Geez... I can't believe anyone would point out this FCC coverage map of Pittsburgh to make their case. I expected to see a map full of no coverage, or at least a substantial portion. Instead, it's a map showing a huge amount of white, which is where coveage remains the same. That area extends out about 70 miles. The there is a very large amount of green in that area, which is COVERAGE THAT NOW EXISTS WHERE IT DID NOT PREVIUOSLY. Then you have a very tiny amount of orange, which is where coverage is lost, but the CBS network can still be received on another channel. Finally, there are a few specs of red at about 50 miles+ where coverage is lost with no alternate channel available for the CBS network. Bottom line, the map shows that for 99.99% of the area, coveage either remains the same or improves.
If your standard is that this is unacceptable, then I think you're going to go through life very unhappy.
On Jan 13, 9:30�am, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

did you look at just KDKA or all digitaL CHANNELS IN PITTSBURGH?
some are about the same like KDKA, some are much worse like WTAE
and no other ABC affiliate is available here, the next nearest is in youngstown ohio a long way.
On Tue, 13 Jan 2009 06:30:42 -0800, trader4 wrote:

What I wrote was that it was "a mess" - which isn't going to get sorted out until the trees have leafed out. Whether it's "acceptable" or not is up to the people who live in the Pittsburgh area.

yeah once trees leaf out signal stregth will drop for sure.
leaves being water based attenuate signal basically absorb it

So the loss, if there actually is one, is due to the station changing from VHF to UHF and has nothing to do with digital? There are at least 100 hills between me and the nearest tower. I'm still getting a decent signal.

So are UFOs and Bigfoot sightings. I find it hard to believe that people are complaining about losing coverage in a conversion that hasn't happened yet. Methinks it's more a matter of not wanting to change anything than actual loss.
I didn't want to change and I probably wouldn't have changed anything if I hadn't seen a demonstration of what was out there vs what the map said was out there. I was working on a scheme to move one of my dish boxes to my campground to provide TV for my customers. Forget that. I'll put up an antenna and they can watch the same thing I'm watching.

Again, this has nothing to do with digital vs analog but has everything to do with the different wave propagation of two very different frequencies.

11 miles is nothing unless you're already on the very extreme edge of coverage and they move 11 miles in the opposite direction. As a very last resort, amplifiers are available to boost the signal and vastly increase the quality of reception in fringe areas. I had a leftover amp from the days when I subscribed to Comcast cable. Hooking it up adds two more channels that previously were undetectable.

Unless they've started transmitting from the new tower, then the map is correct, no?

Puppies or kittens?
-- Jack
On Tue, 13 Jan 2009 14:55:45 +0000, Jack Hunt wrote:

The frequency changes are part of the process decided on for the transition from analog to digital so they have "everything" to do with it.

The new transmitter won't be that much further away from me, but the angle "between" the two transmitters is high formya fixed directional antenna.

No. The maps show both the analog and digital transmitter locations.