DTV related accidents and deaths

Page 1 of 2
Leave it to the government to do things that are entirely stupid. Having the DTV changeover on Feb. 17 is one of them. The majority of Americans are coping with snow and ice and cold weather in February. At the same time, these same people are stuck indoors and watching more tv than they do in warmer weather.
On Feb 17th the analog signals will be gone, and everyone will have to get their converter boxes working or they will see a blank screen. While some people have already gotten their converters working, many of us (including myself), have tried them, and found then inferior because the stations are still sending out a low powererd dtv signal. They claim they will increase their power on Feb 17, which may or may not be true, because I'm sure this will not be an overnight change, and there will be technical problems.
So, beginning on February 17, how many people are going to fall off snow covered roofs, slip on icy ladders, fall off antenna towers, etc. while trying to do things to their antennas to get better reception. This is precisely where the government makes no sense at all. Why didn't they make the change in June, July, or August, when anyone can safely go on the roof, and when people can take their time getting things working because they are spending most of their time outdoors away from the tv.
I wonder how many people are going to end up in hospitals or dead from working on their antennas in freezing cold weather? I'm sure we'll see much of this on the news. (That's if we can see the news on our tv sets).
President elect Obama said he wants to extend the date of the changeover because the govt. ran out of money for the coupons. I hope that the date change occurs in warm weather. Maybe wait another 6 months, which would then occur in August. With any hope, Obama will have more sense than previous politicians.
Jim
You're an idiot if you believe that!

On Sat, 10 Jan 2009 15:28:55 -0600, Gordon Shumway

It never fails. No matter what anyone posts on any newsgroup, there is some asshole that replies with name calling. I'm glad my news software has a good killfile!!!
Maybe if your postings didn't infer that you are the victim of a government/big business plot to do you in, fewer people would regard you as an idiot.

I'm telling you it IS a plot. A Gawddamn plot by evil Republicans. Everyone knows that Democrats have less income, therefore more of them will be up there changing these things, unlike evil Republicans, who will employ unemployed Democrats or illegal aliens to do it. And more of those poor Democrats will fall off and die.
What I can't figure out is this. On every box I have ever seen, they sit on a shelf INSIDE the house. Where's the risk?
Steve
On Sat, 10 Jan 2009 15:02:42 -0600, Jimw wrote:

I agree, Feb. 17 it's a stupid date, but aren't you being just a bit too pessimistic? Hope everything will go well for you.
On Sat, 10 Jan 2009 18:02:55 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com"

That would only make sense.

In all honesty, I was thinking they should provide some assistance for persons who need new antennas. My antenna is only a few years old. Works well for analog, but it appears that it may not work at all for digital. But there again, will a new natenna work, or am I just in an area which will not get the digital signal? This means I may buy another antenna and still get nothing. Hell, if the govt is going to profit from this, they should be paying for all our inconveniences due to the change. It's not like "we the people" voted to allow this. I already know my vote would have been a big *NO*.
Jim
Jimw wrote:

who told you that? an Obamma voter?
4ax.com:

Their TV's in rooms will probably work. TV watching problem solved.

TV not required.

I don't know. It's going to be hard for me to cut out tv even then. I've arranged to have cable run to my grave.

They'll probably run Night of the Living Dead as frequently as It's a Wonderful Life runs at Christmas for the live ones.
"> President elect Obama said he wants to extend the date of the

Good Lord, yet another government entitlement and people are complaining it's not enough! Sounds like you guys are all from New Orleans and ignored the hurricane evacuation orders and then sat in sewer water saying "Where's the government with my free pre-paid debit cards and housing?" for the TV cameras. How could anyone NOT be ready for this? It's been talked about for years. My 83 year old mother managed to take care of the whole thing by herself five months ago. Get a brain and grow-up and stop crying! Oh yeah, let's not forget in August, lots of thunderstorms and people could get hit by lightning putting up those new government paid antennas!
BAHO

People are being forced to PAY for free over the air TV. Guess who is doing the forcing? duh.

A lot of folks had no transportation out. You don't make any sense.

That's nice she's still able to do it. Whatever IT is supposed to be. The converter, or single handed taking care of hurricane wreckage?

You need to get a brain. You don't understand.

$40 one time charge. Oh, the humanity.

or hundreds of bucks or a outdoor antenna. if you check the maps the stations or government produced there are many areas losing channels. thats absolutely wrong

Yes, you and six other sensible people. Millions will wake up February 17 and wonder why the picture is gone.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

No, I'm sure they voted for Bush. Like you.

That's because Carville, most of MSNBC and all the UltraLefties are moving to DC where they can do at least as much damage to America as the other wingnuts.
Every former Bush voter is guaranteed a

"NeoCon" This is liberal for I don't want to risk cognitive dissonance, so I'll use this meaningless term instead of actually thinking things out. Of course, the conservatives who are opposed to to actually thinking things out have their own term of "endearment".