Drywall

The ceiling in my garage is 10 feet and 1 and 1/2 inches from floor to the bottom of the truss. I am not installing drywall on the ceiling.

Is it ok to use 10 foot sheets of drywall hung vertically that are 1 and 1/2 inch off of the floor?

Reply to
stryped

Use a layer of thick turquoise or yellow carpet to fill the gap.

Steve ;-)

Reply to
Steve B

Sure, if you use a floating floor. ;)

If the gap bothers you, cover it with some trim.

RicodJour

Does the stud wall sit directly on slab, or is there a course of block or foundation wall? In mine, the bottom plate of the stud wall sits on one course of block, and I drywalled just over the plate so all you see is block underneath. I reasoned that with the snow and other spillages in a garage, you don't want drywall down to the ground anyway. If the bottom 1 1/2 inches that will be exposed is your bottom plate, then I guess that is OK also. Would be better to overlap it a little (maybe 1/2 inch, leaving a similar gap up top). Bit of a gap is OK in a garage IMO. Keep in mind that your slab is probably sloped to allow for run off of spillages, so your 1 1/2 may not be consistent all the way around.

Cub

Reply to
cubby

The plat is directly over a slab, no block. My thinking was to put it against the truss and the 1 and 1/2 inch off the concrete floor. Later going back and putting vinyl baseboard around it. Think that would be ok??

Reply to
stryped

Baseboard in the garage - wow. You are more sophisticated than me. If you don't have snow or other spillages to worry about, it would work, but to me it would be overkill. Here in MN with snow melting in the winter it's good to have some separation so the drywall doesn't suck up the water. Like I say, mine looks fine with a gap at the bottom - fine for a garage. Are the walls insulated? If so, I would want to overlap the bottom plate with at least some vapor barrier and drywall. If not, are you sure you want drywall? My shed isn't insulated, and the bays between studs make excellent recessed bays for hanging stuff. I get that drywall looks good, but if you're not doing the ceiling, it will look incomplete anyway I think. But each to his own. Good luck whatever you choose.

Cub

Reply to
cubby

It is insulated. I am probably going to use metal on the ceiling.

Reply to
stryped

Yep, trim it out. You do want some gap at the bottom, normally 1/8" to

1/4", but you'll be fine.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken