Dryer thermostat burned up

Hi,
My Kenmore/Whirlpool electric dryer recently burned up the high heat-sensing thermostat (the one attached to the side of the heating element). One of the wires blackened, and the connector attachment disintegrated, as if from arcing. I replaced the heating element itself about a year ago, so I'm not sure the two events are related. It's an old dryer. Is there more to worry about here, or is it likely that this could have happened from "old age" and normal processes.
Thanks,
Bruce Kimball from Louisville
beekay wrote:

Hi,
A couple of things....always clean/check the venting system when you have a dryer problem, esp with a burnt out element or burnt safety thermostat. Usually/often the contact inside the thermostat get burnt and this heats up the wire and the wire burns off. Replace the wire and thermostat and you should be good :)
More likely to a clogged vent, keeping the heat in.
--

Christopher A. Young
Do good work.