Drop shelf on potting bench

I'm in the process of making a potting bench out of more scrap wood that is similar to this one,

only the potting soil bin is on the left of the one I'm making.

We have some scrap 1x6's, 1x4's, & 1x2's, so I've made the frame mostly from the 1x6's and 1x4's, so far. I plan on using the 1x2's for shelf backs and decorative edges, but not sure yet, because I'm making it up as I go along.

I'd like to put an extension of the counter top on the right side and make it a drop shelf that lays down on the right side of the potting bench and be able to prop up the drop shelf when I need more space. I'd like to use the materials I have, now, so I don't really want to go purchase any sort of bracket that'll do the job. I'd like to use the

1x4's for the shelf prop. I've got some hinges I can use to attach to the shelf so it'll drop down.

Any suggestions as to how to put it together the best way? I've looked at various ideas I can find online, but none of them actually show any close-ups of how the drop down shelf props are attached.

Reply to
Muggles

Please read here: Message-ID:

Reply to
David B

Have ya heard of Google images? ;-)

This support swings sideways and stores under the "overhang".

This support can be attached to the bench and swing up or be attached under the shelf and swing down.

Another option (not shown) is to use 2 long horizontal supports that slide under the bench on tracks and are pulled out when required to support to shelf. 2 supports with a cross piece on the "pull out" end would allow you to pull both supports out at one time and provide extra crossways support for the shelf. Add a handle for convenience. I'd make the supports at least twice the length of the shelf. They could even be angled so they get snug as they are pulled out.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

You've probably seen gate leg tables...lift the top to horizontal, swing out the bracket - attached with hinges to the side - horizontally, let the top down onto the bracket. The top has a couple of cleats that fit over the swing leg to keep it in place.

Another way is to fasten a batten some where near the bottom of the cabinet, another on the shelf near the end. Notch a piece of wood to engage the battens, lift the shelf, stick in the notched piece. You could use more than one notched piece if needed.

Reply to
dadiOH

Here are some pics of what I've put together so far. The left side is where I'd like to put the drop down shelf, I think.

Muggles

Well, I've looked on google already. I saw images like the ones you posted, but I can't see underneath the shelf to see how it's attached, or the hardware/bolts/screwed together.

Reply to
Muggles

Reply to
DerbyDad03

What's to see?

There is no connection to underside of the shelf for this version, other than the hinges between the shelf and the overhang. I hope you don't need to see *them* to see where they should go.

The support just swings out via the clearly visible hinges. The board that the hinges are attached to would be attached to the side of the potting bench in whatever manner you see fit.

For this version, the support wouldn't need much more than a strip of wood to keep the swing-up support from sliding once the weight of the shelf was on it.

That said, if the shelf got knocked *upwards*, the support might slip out, so you might want to add some type of latch between the bottom of the shelf and the support to lock it down.

As far as the un-pictured slide out supports, there would nothing attached to the underside of the shelf since the shelf would just sit on the supports after they were pulled out from under the main part of the bench.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Ok I've looked at a few more photos, including yours, to get a better idea of how it's done. The second image looks like it might work better for me, but I'll mull it over before I actually add it to the potting bench. I've only found one pair of hinges in the work shop, so I may have to buy some more if I can't find another set laying around.

thanks!

Reply to
Muggles

You got all this extra wood lying around, make your own hinges. ;-)

DerbyDad03

Actually, that last one looks pretty easy since it could be glued up from individual, easy to cut pieces. Each of the 4 sections could be made from 2 flat strips and a center block. Glue the pieces together and then sand to shape.

I might try that this weekend just for fun.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

hmmm I'm not sure I've seen how that's made before. I might could figure out how to do that... not sure.

Reply to
Muggles

Cut a small block of wood that is the exact same width as the panel. Cut 2 thin strips that are about twice as long as the block. Glue the strips to the side of the block. Drill a hole in the block Repeat 2 more times Position as shown and glue/screw to panel Insert peg through the holes Center spacer between the upper and lower hinge sections might be optional, but would be made the same way, just shorter and without a hole.

(Each section could actually be cut from a single piece of wood, but gluing on the side strips would be much easier than cutting a perfect notch)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Ok ... I understand how you're making it. That would be a nice touch, but I'm not sure I've got access to a sander to round off the edges like in the photo. It's a sure bet my hands aren't steady enough to cut a perfect notch, too.

It might be a bit of overkill, though, for a potting bench. Kind of a fancy hinge for something that's just going to be getting dirty. Who knows ... I might get inspired and try.

thanks!

Reply to
Muggles