Driveway Pavers and Sealing

We recently had our 500 sq.ft. concrete driveway demolished and replaced with pavers. We would like to seal the pavers, but the contractor who installed them is quoting $2/sq.ft., or $1,000. The paver maker, CalStone, has a recommended sealer in its broshure that is available for $40/gal. Two gallons would be more than enough. The broshure says the pavers can be sealed immediately after installation.
It looks like I just need to roll on the sealer since the pavers are new and clean. Is there something I'm missing? This contractor was reasonable for the installation part of the job, so I'm wondering what else he would do that results in $1,000 worth of work.
so I'm wondering what

make a profit?

I'd suggest considering spraying the sealer on rather than using a roller. They have small plastic pump sprayers similar to those used to spray lawn chemicals. Since most pavers have a somewhat rough surface, you'd need at least a med nap roller and that could pick up some of the sand between the pavers.
In any case, certainly a job you can do yourself. Not unusual to see contractors quote high prices like this. There are enough people that just don't know any better and say yes, so he makes the same amount or more by doing a lot less jobs.

Let's look at the contractor's cost for this job:
Initial visit: gas - $10 time - $80     drive there - 30 minutes     talk to customer         job - 5 minutes         alternative solutions that won't be used - 10 minutes         small talk - 10 minutes         other possible jobs that won't pan out - 10 minutes         free advice - 15 minutes     drive home - 30 minutes
Get supplies: gas - $5 time - $40 (first store out, drive to second store) materials - $80
Installation: gas - $10 time - $120     load truck - 10 minutes     drive there - 30 minutes     unload tools - 10 minutes     mask around patio - 10 minutes     clean patio - 15 minutes     prepare solution - 5 minutes     apply - 30 minutes     clean tools - 10 minutes     remove masking - 5 minutes     load tools - 10 minutes     talk to customer - 15 minutes     drive home - 30 minutes     unload truck - 10 minutes
Bookkeeping: gas - $5 time - $40     record time, supplies - 5 minutes     print invoice - 5 minutes     mail invoice - 5 minutes     follow up on unpaid invoice - 10 minutes     receive and record payment    - 5 minutes     take payment to bank - 30 minutes
Overhead: insurance - $50 taxes - $50 tools - $50 truck depreciation - $50
Right there are more than $600 in costs (in SWAG numbers), and there are lots more things that I didn't think of. Doing it yourself, you can ignore the cost of your vehicle and insurance, and you can skip masking around the patio. I can't do that, because I might get the sealer on your siding, and there goes my profit.
--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement

This is the same contractor who installed the pavers. He quoted, and we contracted for, a paver installation job that would take 4 days. He finished in 3. So wouldn't he kind of owe me a day's labor?
On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 15:00:13 +0000 (UTC), "SteveBell"

Don't forget money saved you might spend with the time saved from the job. It cuts many ways
Exactly what's the point in sealing pavers?
zzyzzx wrote:

It's a nice look, and it retards growth of algae and moss.
--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement

What did he say when you asked him?
Maybe he was just saying he doesn't like that work, but if you're willing to pay the price he'll do it. Or maybe he has a secret way of doing it that makes his work worth so much more.
Only one person knows--- 2 if you ask him.
Jim