Driveway Pavers and Sealing

We recently had our 500 sq.ft. concrete driveway demolished and replaced with pavers. We would like to seal the pavers, but the contractor who installed them is quoting $2/sq.ft., or $1,000. The paver maker, CalStone, has a recommended sealer in its broshure that is available for $40/gal. Two gallons would be more than enough. The broshure says the pavers can be sealed immediately after installation.

It looks like I just need to roll on the sealer since the pavers are new and clean. Is there something I'm missing? This contractor was reasonable for the installation part of the job, so I'm wondering what else he would do that results in $1,000 worth of work.

Reply to
Bill Riley

make a profit?

Reply to
Bob

I'd suggest considering spraying the sealer on rather than using a roller. They have small plastic pump sprayers similar to those used to spray lawn chemicals. Since most pavers have a somewhat rough surface, you'd need at least a med nap roller and that could pick up some of the sand between the pavers.

In any case, certainly a job you can do yourself. Not unusual to see contractors quote high prices like this. There are enough people that just don't know any better and say yes, so he makes the same amount or more by doing a lot less jobs.

Reply to
trader4

snip-

What did he say when you asked him?

Maybe he was just saying he doesn't like that work, but if you're willing to pay the price he'll do it. Or maybe he has a secret way of doing it that makes his work worth so much more.

Only one person knows--- 2 if you ask him.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Let's look at the contractor's cost for this job:

Initial visit: gas - $10 time - $80 drive there - 30 minutes talk to customer job - 5 minutes alternative solutions that won't be used - 10 minutes small talk - 10 minutes other possible jobs that won't pan out - 10 minutes free advice - 15 minutes drive home - 30 minutes

Get supplies: gas - $5 time - $40 (first store out, drive to second store) materials - $80

Installation: gas - $10 time - $120 load truck - 10 minutes drive there - 30 minutes unload tools - 10 minutes mask around patio - 10 minutes clean patio - 15 minutes prepare solution - 5 minutes apply - 30 minutes clean tools - 10 minutes remove masking - 5 minutes load tools - 10 minutes talk to customer - 15 minutes drive home - 30 minutes unload truck - 10 minutes

Bookkeeping: gas - $5 time - $40 record time, supplies - 5 minutes print invoice - 5 minutes mail invoice - 5 minutes follow up on unpaid invoice - 10 minutes receive and record payment - 5 minutes take payment to bank - 30 minutes

Overhead: insurance - $50 taxes - $50 tools - $50 truck depreciation - $50

Right there are more than $600 in costs (in SWAG numbers), and there are lots more things that I didn't think of. Doing it yourself, you can ignore the cost of your vehicle and insurance, and you can skip masking around the patio. I can't do that, because I might get the sealer on your siding, and there goes my profit.

Reply to
SteveBell

This is the same contractor who installed the pavers. He quoted, and we contracted for, a paver installation job that would take 4 days. He finished in 3. So wouldn't he kind of owe me a day's labor?

Reply to
Bill Riley

Don't forget money saved you might spend with the time saved from the job. It cuts many ways

Reply to
RT

Exactly what's the point in sealing pavers?

Reply to
zzyzzx

It's a nice look, and it retards growth of algae and moss.

Reply to
SteveBell