Draining dehumidifier into sewage pipes in crawlspace?

Page 2 of 2
On 10/9/2010 9:52 AM, TimR wrote:

Vented crawls used to be SOP here in midwest, until they realized it was easier and cheaper to prevent the moisture, than to give up all that free ground heat in winter. I haven't seen vents on a 'new' crawl in thirty-some years around here. A modern crawl with sidewall insulation seldom freezes hard, even if house furnace is off. That is a lot shorter hill for the furnace to climb in the dead of winter. Of course, few people build crawls now around here, other than on cheap tract homes, glorified trailers, and lots with high water tables.
Unless OP has a high water table or a spring, I'd regrade the yard and redo the gutters, and dry the damn thing out, first. Even add an outside french drain, if none exists. Don't have to dig very deep for a crawl, just a foot below frostline or so.
--
aem sends...

Any water under the house increases the likelihood of mold growth not to mention a mess and possible structural problem. Dehumidification as you know can produce quite a bit of water. This water is essentially distilled water and is pure water (better than our well water). We collect ours an a 5 gal pail and use it for watering the garden and house plants rather than run it out on the ground to make a summer time mud puddle.