draining an above ground pool

I have just purchased a home that has an above ground pool.. the pool is full and has been sitting for quite sometime with algea and junk.

there is a sand filter that I'm told works well.

Is there "drain plug" somewhere on the filter on lines where I can drain the pool, clean it, and start fresh?

Thanx,

-Richard.

Reply to
xcoastie

You can get a good one cheap at Ace. You will probably need it over the years. If that is not possible, just set up a hose suction and drain it by gravity.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Look at the sand filter canister. Toward the bottom there's a screw on cap. Opening that will not drain your pool. It will drain way too slow for that.

I wouldn't drain it at all. You're not going to be able to kill the algae that way.

Remove the junk with a scoop. Raise the water level til the skimmer has an inch or 2 of water in it. Turn on the filter.

You will probably have to backflush the sand filter a few times. You might have to change the sand. I do that every few years.

Give it a day or 2 to get the worst stuff out of the water. Get a test kit and get the PH and alkalinity right, then try 5 gallons of liquid bleach. You can get it at the pool store. Most likely that will be the end of the algae.

My pool opens up really dirty every year due to falling branches and leaves. It takes me one to 2 weeks to get it clear.

Reply to
Dan Espen

use the pool pump to empty it, scrub with bleach and refill.

or lay a garden hose in it and let mother nature drain it.

careful where the water goes, a neighbor drained a pool and flooded the basement of the home next door, it wasnt a pretty site, the neighbor got mad and tried breaking down the pool owners door, the police were called and before it was over several got arrested, and 20K in damage to the basement and contents.

Insurance paid but sued the pool owner. last I heard it was still in court, the pool owner moved to get away from the mess.

someone reportedly warned his new neighbors and that caused grief there....

it just went on forever....

Reply to
hallerb

I can easily imagine an airhead not giving a thought to where the water goes after it leaves his pool. (I was 30 years old before I realized that every stream was at the bottom of a hill, and at the bottom of every decent-sized hill there was a stream.)

This is the point so many people don't seem to get. Unless the damage is caused soley by nature, or the person insured, or someone whose identity is unknown, there is someone else who is responsible who the insurance company can sue.

Reply to
mm