Drainage Problem

We live on a hill and I have dug down about 4 inches by three feet wide by 18 feet long at the street and intend to backfill the same with 1 1/2 inch stone in an attempt to prevent sand from washing into my driveway. I would like to place a removable and cleanable sand trap at the bottom. Does anyone know how to do this ?
Thank You,
Howard