Drainage pipe ends

I'd like to know what I should do with the two ends of a drainage pipe collecting water from a sump pump. The receiving end of the pipe is getting its water from a 1.5" flexible hose. The pipe is 4" in diameter. I'm going to have this end of the pipe sticking straight up out of the ground about an inch above the surface.

The other end of the pipe is just below the surface with gravel beneath it . Should I be capping it to try to prevent soil from coming in and blocking it up? If so, how would I proceed to do this? I've drilled a bunch of holes in the last 10 feet or so of the pipe to allow drainage below the pipe. The pipe is flexible.

TIA Eric

Reply to
Eric G

Capping it would be ok--the water is going to drain out thru the holes you drilled. If your soil drains reasonably well you should not have too much trouble with the drain getting blocked. If you have a lot of clay, though, it is going to float up into the drain over time. It's important for the water to be able to drain away well. Running the discharge into a ditch or storm drain is ideal.

Reply to
donald girod