door question

There is an approx 11 ft long X 7 ft high opening between my family room and dining area. I would like to install french doors with 2 fixed and 2 hinged panels in this opening. Now I don't think that this is considered a "rough" opening as the top and sides are drywalled. No trim is present however. My question is if I purchase a prehung door would the jambs be installed through the drywall or would the top and side drywall have to be removed to nail the jamb directly to the trimmers and top plate?
Also does it make sense to nail a 2 X 4 at the top to make the opening a standard 6'8" (approx) to save money or will the doors have to be custom made in any case to accomodate the width of the opening?
HL wrote:

You *should* remove the drywall around the top and sides. The corner beads installed around the opening cause the wall to flair out at the corners and will make installing trim difficult. I would remove the drywall and corner beads all the way around. That said, you don't have to take it out as long as everything is securely attached to the framing.
You can do whatever you want at the top but if your door is short you will either have to patch the drywall or use wide trim to cover the gap.
I would avoid ordering a custom height door due to the higher cost. For the height, a wider piece of molding could hide the gap. With that large of a door, you could probably get away with it. For the width, I would price out several different door widths and make a decision based on costs, your skill level, and how much you want to work.