Door knocker install - drilling *straight* holes

Hi All, About to install a nice door knocker, wondering if there are any good tips out there for drilling the holes perfectly straight through the door. Sure, my drill has level on the back but its only slightly helpful for up/down level, does nothing for side-to-side.
Any advice appreciated, Howard
If you own a drill press or have a friend or neighbor with one, drill a lead hole through a scrap of 2x4 or similar. Establish the hole you want to drill, insert your portable drill through the 2x block, hold the board firmly against the door face and let the predrilled hole in the 2x get you drilling perpendicular to the door face.

HDH wrote:

Use a framing square or try Dan's method. The best thing to use is a drill press.
Rich
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
EvoDawg wrote:

You are kidding, aren't you?
Who's gonna want to take the time to dismount the door and haul it over to where there's a drill press with a throat depth half the width of a front door?
Jeff

--
Jeff Wisnia (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Jeff Wisnia wrote:

Listen shit for brains if you want to drill a perfectly straight hole you use a drill press. A router would work too. I still don't understand what the big deal is with drilling a perfectly straight hole for a door knocker?
Rich
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
EvoDawg wrote:

There I go, casting pearls before swine again...
Jeff
--

Jeff Wisnia (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Actually there is a pretty simple solution for the person who asked the original question. Get your hands on a Dremel tool and a regular drill bit, and get the screw-on Dremel accessory (I forgot exactly what it's called; Home Depot and Menard's has 'em for something like $20) that lets you set how deep into the wood to drill, rout, or whatever you're using the tool for. It has a flat circular base (which will eliminate crooked holes) and instead of screwing the sleeve down tight to stay at a particular depth, just let the Dremel move freely up and down to drill the hole. Easy peasy, Japanese-y.
AJS
HDH wrote:

Got a router? Clamp it on the door and make your hole.
-- dadiOH _____________________________
HDH wrote:

http://www.traditionalwoodworker.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath &9_276&products_id15
But, for a one off job the 2 by 4 works great, particularly if you can use a drill press to drill it.
Jeff
--
Jeff Wisnia (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

http://www.traditionalwoodworker.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath &9_276&products_id15
I have one of those and while it's good compared to the competition, it's not good on an absolute scale.

If you want to make something that will last longer, start with a piece of hardwood reasonable thick and line the hole with a bushing made for drilling. Drilling at right angles is something that yuo do so often, it's worth it to make a long lasting jig for the purpose.
<http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.asp?page2317&category=1,180,42311,42321&abspage=1&ccurrency=1&SID=>
Note the link shows C$ pricing - switch to US$ pricing with the icon in the upper right corner.
Mike
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------030100050301030803020602 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Michael Daly wrote:

acts fast?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item#77029077&category03
Jeff
--
Jeff Wisnia (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

I thought DanG had a good idea. Make a straight hole in something easily placed against the door surface to use as a drill guide.