Door knocker install - drilling *straight* holes

Hi All, About to install a nice door knocker, wondering if there are any good tips out there for drilling the holes perfectly straight through the door. Sure, my drill has level on the back but its only slightly helpful for up/down level, does nothing for side-to-side.

Any advice appreciated, Howard

Reply to
HDH

If you own a drill press or have a friend or neighbor with one, drill a lead hole through a scrap of 2x4 or similar. Establish the hole you want to drill, insert your portable drill through the

2x block, hold the board firmly against the door face and let the predrilled hole in the 2x get you drilling perpendicular to the door face.

door. Sure,

Reply to
DanG

Use a framing square or try Dan's method. The best thing to use is a drill press.

Rich

Reply to
EvoDawg

Got a router? Clamp it on the door and make your hole.

-- dadiOH _____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.0... ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at

dadiOH

Well if 'ya wanna get fancy about it...

But, for a one off job the 2 by 4 works great, particularly if you can use a drill press to drill it.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

You are kidding, aren't you?

Who's gonna want to take the time to dismount the door and haul it over to where there's a drill press with a throat depth half the width of a front door?

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

I have one of those and while it's good compared to the competition, it's not good on an absolute scale.

If you want to make something that will last longer, start with a piece of hardwood reasonable thick and line the hole with a bushing made for drilling. Drilling at right angles is something that yuo do so often, it's worth it to make a long lasting jig for the purpose.

Note the link shows C$ pricing - switch to US$ pricing with the icon in the upper right corner.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Daly

Yep, but how about this one for less than a pack of cigarettes if he acts fast?

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Listen shit for brains if you want to drill a perfectly straight hole you use a drill press. A router would work too. I still don't understand what the big deal is with drilling a perfectly straight hole for a door knocker?

Rich

Reply to
EvoDawg

I thought DanG had a good idea. Make a straight hole in something easily placed against the door surface to use as a drill guide.

Reply to
edfan

There I go, casting pearls before swine again...

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Actually there is a pretty simple solution for the person who asked the original question. Get your hands on a Dremel tool and a regular drill bit, and get the screw-on Dremel accessory (I forgot exactly what it's called; Home Depot and Menard's has 'em for something like $20) that lets you set how deep into the wood to drill, rout, or whatever you're using the tool for. It has a flat circular base (which will eliminate crooked holes) and instead of screwing the sleeve down tight to stay at a particular depth, just let the Dremel move freely up and down to drill the hole. Easy peasy, Japanese-y.

AJS

Reply to
AJScott