Dogs under fence

Training?

My dog is hilarious. She has decided where the invisible fence would be at our cottage, were we to have an invisible fence there, and will not cross it. We have to carry her over "it".

Reply to
Toller

I'm starting to wonder about you. In the first paragraph you refer to "solid waste". In the second, "crappy". Not to be disappointed, in the third you refer to "runs".

What are we to think?

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

If she were really hard to get, she wouldn't have nine kids. Trust me.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Reply to
NoBowWow

Some sponges soaked in bacon grease should do the trick. Putting some antifreeze in their water will help speed the fix. I've also heard that wafarin powered meat chunks can help, too.

Good luck.

Reply to
Oscar_Lives

She sounds really fat to me.

Reply to
Oscar_Lives

Make some stakes with hooks in the ends. Drive the stakes into the ground so that the hooks keep the chainlinks pulled down. It took me 15 seconds to think of that by the way.

Reply to
User Example

Oooh. No, my fence doesn't have a bottom wire, and this sounds like it might be the way to go. Where would I get plastic coated aircraft cable from?

Angrie.Woman

If you don't want to keep feeding them until the dumb F%&#s are to fat to squeeze under the fence. You could feed them shards of glass mixed in with their Alpo.

Reply to
NoBowWow

But what would you make the stakes out of? In my norrow little mind, any metal that I can bend, my dogs can unbend. A

Reply to
Angrie.Woman

That's the beauty of Usenet, isn't it? A

Reply to
Angrie.Woman

Looks like plastic coated clothesline to me.

Angrie.Woman

If you cut a hunk of black pipe in half, and have someone stand on one end, you can use the other end to bend a hunk of rebar into a staple. I'll be really impressed if your dogs can unbend that, especially with both points pounded into the ground.

Reply to
Goedjn

Well, I've had experience a bit with such things...first, the suggestion posted later on about running an reinforcing wire along the bottom of the cyclone fence, woven through the bottom holes, is good..but if they start diggin' it's not gonna work. But, if you want to try that then any Ace Hardware, Lowe's, Home Depot, or other home improvement/hardware store should have something that'll help..but you may need a fence stretcher like they use with barbed wire to make it stiff enough to really help.

However, they do make a low voltage electric fence system for small pests (and small pets) that, supposedly, isn't as rough on smaller animals as the stuff they use to rein in cattle, and I've purchased one from Tractor Supply Company for a friend to keep his Boston Terrier from digging under their fence and it worked beautifully. Mark the electric fence with ribbons every few feet (3 or 4) just to be sure..but I think they'll find it anyway and power it up. It took only once for the Boston Terrier to find it and remember it. We put it low to the ground as the fence above was suffient to stop the dog.

The dog learned quick to stay away from the fence and that was the point. At that point she pretty much quit shocking herself.

All you bleeding hearts who want to flame me about using an electric fence for a dog can un-hitch your wagons right now: 1) it was low voltage for small animals, and 2) it's better than the animal getting hurt or lost or in a fight because it's too clever to be held by a conventional fence. Besides, after a few interactions with the fence the dog figured it out and pretty much quit trying it (I can't swear to that because I don't live there).

--HC

Reply to
HC

Those small but sharp carpet tacks mixed in the Alpo will also sometimes do the trick.

I've also heard that frequent rubbing of Draino powder on their anus will get the job done if you don't mind waiting a couple of weeks.

Reply to
Oscar_Lives

So, you're back to what I suggested and you poo-pooed 2 days ago. You owe me sex now.

Reply to
G Henslee

I have neighbors with kids. As much as I would love to try this, I'm afraid they'd get jolted. We're already the new neighbors - I'm really trying hard here *not* to be the neighbors from hell.

If the tension wire on the bottom doesn't work, I might try it. I think I could keep the voltage off when the kids were out, and keep the dogs away when the voltage is off too.

Angrie.Woman

Reply to
User Example

Louder, please?

Actually, I found some mighty long tent-type stakes. They're actually a multi-purpose stake, about 15" long with a hook on the side.

Of course, I found all this after I had everything else in the cart. :)

I had reservations about how the heck I was going to tie the cable to the hook. When I saw the stakes, I though I would start with that instead.

Angrie.Woman