Dogs under fence

Page 1 of 2
Hello - Usenet citizen's first post to this group. I have two stupid dogs who are squeezing out under the chain link fence to go play with the other dogs in the park. Not digging - just squeezing.
So what would you try?
Googling got me attaching chicken wire to the bottom, angling it in and burying it 12" or so in. My chicken wire projects always look like crap though.
Stupid dogs.
On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 18:13:19 GMT, "Angrie.Woman"

"Consider" using metal tent stakes (with the hooks on the side (or re-bar)) to anchor fence closer to the ground. I've seen small cement footers poured a few inches wide with the bottom of the fence sunk into the concrete.
"Fences are not to keep the inmates in, but to keep the wild animals out"
Oren They have computers, and they may have other weapons of mass destruction. Janet Reno, Attorney General, Friday, February 27, 1998
snipped-for-privacy@at.us wrote:

That is the same thought my husband had. Do you think tent stakes are long enough to hold it properly?
How would rebar be done? (I love rebar. It looks so....serious!)
I've seen small cement

Yikes. I've never done cement before. I started to say "I think that would be easier done when installing the fence" but I do not think that's quite right. :)
Then I pictured some sort of a temporary mold along the bottom...
Next thought was : That might be hard, because the footer can't extend beyond the fence line without encroaching on the neighbor's / city's property line. (We back up to a park.)

No parent wrote that.
Angrie.Woman wrote:

<snipped>
When you're through muttering to yourself in here, go buy something along these lines: http://www.seefido.com/html/electric_fence_for_dogs.htm http://www.getpetstop.com/index.shtml
G Henslee wrote:

Is that a radio fence? I had one at my last house - put it in myself, and fixed it every time it got broken. (A lightning strike blew it right off the wall!) We absolutely loved it, but our yard's not wide enough to do that here . They would be barely able to step off the patio before they got into the shock zone.
It is a good thought though. Thanks!
On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 19:07:58 GMT, "Angrie.Woman"

Try to weave the re-bar through the fence, near the bottom about ten inches or so and (long enough) then drive the bar into the ground with a hammer. Yea I suppose the tent stakes would be too short... You might find cut pieces of re-bar at the local HD.

Cement is the extreme side if the dogs are huge...

Nope!
Oren They have computers, and they may have other weapons of mass destruction. Janet Reno, Attorney General, Friday, February 27, 1998

Borrow a fence electrifier; you won't need it long ;)
JohnH wrote:

(Actually, I have kids too, but they learn almost as quick as the dogs.)
On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 18:13:19 GMT, "Angrie.Woman"

My neighbor put a line of brick pavers under his fence to discourage digging and "squeezing"

Drive in tent pegs anywhere the fence is loose enough to move The little hook meant for the rope should hold the bottom of the wire mesh.
But don't blame me if the dogs just start digging, and you have to go with the chicken wire anyway. The dogs may not be as stupid as you first thought <g>
AMUN
Amun wrote:

Digging I have always successfully stopped by burying their solid waste in the holes. I have heard it does not work for all dogs, but I have been lucky.
I can do chicken wire, but it always looks so crappy.

They're going to end up in little doggie runs if they don't decide it is best to stay put. Stupid dogs.
I'm on a tangent here, but I'm home with them all day. They're more than welcome to come in if they want. I play frisbee with them a couple times a day, we walk almost every day...they're not starved for toys, water or attention. They just want to go play with the other doggies going on their walks in the park.
Angrie.Woman wrote:

Well just maybe, they want to get away from you. Does your husband stay gone a lot?
G Henslee wrote:

My first troll!!! I'm so excited!
Angrie.Woman wrote:

You excite easily.
Just as I suspected. Hubby stays away a lot... Okay, now I know where this going.
Are you old and ugly? If not and you're in my area I'll come over and 'give' you something to really howl about. Like a big bone.
grr...
G Henslee wrote:

No...oh wait, I mean Yes!! Yes, I am very old, very ugly....I don't really even have a husband. Just dogs. Plus 27 cats. 9 kids. 3 in diapers. And lots of boxes everywhere. Too bad for me, I guess.
Angrie.Woman wrote:

You're playing hard to get Ms. Hotpants!
G Henslee wrote:

If she were really hard to get, she wouldn't have nine kids. Trust me.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

She sounds really fat to me.
Oscar_Lives wrote:

If it's some idiot named helsee, don't be too impressed. There are far more entertaining & clever trolls in other groups
Just killfile the nut and your problems are over.
AMUN