Does window film keep the cold out?

Page 2 of 2
Use it when I rent an old farm house in upstate NY, sure cut down on the drafts and hence saved money. I have installed add-on storm windows to homes also, but don't know the cost these days. I did a search for add on storm windows and came up with numerous sites.
Mike Watch for the bounce. If ya didn't see it, ya didn't feel it. If ya see it, it didn't go off. Old Air Force Munitions Saying

It is better than doing nothing, but it is less effective than new windows or storm windows.
There are other considerations too. How well do the windows work? Do they stick, leak, are painted shut, look ugly, need painting? If you answer yes to a couple of them, replacing the windows will cure a lot of problems and add value to your house.
Window film helps with heating, looks ugly, makes it impossible to open windows on nice days.
Consider replacing two windows at a time to help cash flow. Learn to replace them yourself to save money. Check to see if your utility company offers rebates.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

LOL It's a very long winter around here. No nice days for a very long time. Months.
Helps, a lot. Window film comes in clear, so you can have light. atach the film on the window frame, so there is a dead air space between the film and the window.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

When we lived in the frozen north, the windows leaked something awful and worse, they provided minimal insulation.
I wanted to put up plastic film on the windows to minimize the drafts during the eternal bitter cold winters but my SO thought it was look cheap & cheesy.
This was my solution:
http://i6.tinypic.com/4l6etr8.jpg
Tongue and groove shutters. A full 1" thick. I started out with 1 1/2" thick rough wood. Raised panels. Poplar wood. Air and light tight. I priced out custom shutters and they were fantastically expensive so I built them myself.
They did a terrific job. When I did open the shutters from time to time, the inside of the windows were coated with a thick layer of ice (meaning the heat from the room wasn't escaping).
Now that we live in the blistering hot south, I wish I could build them again to keep the heat out but the studs are only 4" thick. Not deep enough to install shutters.