Does window film keep the cold out?

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in news:cgGHi.54225$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr29.news.prodigy.net:

LOL It's a very long winter around here. No nice days for a very long time. Months.

Reply to
Noahbuddy

I see nothing wrong with using the film as a multi-year temporary solution for windows that don't open.

The longer-term solution is new windows, but if that's not in the cards for a few years why not just leave the film up?

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

I don't see the connection. And no I don't use boxes for end tables, and I don't keep the film on over the summer. By using the 3M film kit and the tape that comes with it, I can peel the tape off just fine after a few months. 3M is right - the difference is in the tape, as they say on the box.

Reply to
Bob M.

Helps, a lot. Window film comes in clear, so you can have light. atach the film on the window frame, so there is a dead air space between the film and the window.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

When we lived in the frozen north, the windows leaked something awful and worse, they provided minimal insulation.

I wanted to put up plastic film on the windows to minimize the drafts during the eternal bitter cold winters but my SO thought it was look cheap & cheesy.

This was my solution:

Tongue and groove shutters. A full 1" thick. I started out with 1 1/2" thick rough wood. Raised panels. Poplar wood. Air and light tight. I priced out custom shutters and they were fantastically expensive so I built them myself.

They did a terrific job. When I did open the shutters from time to time, the inside of the windows were coated with a thick layer of ice (meaning the heat from the room wasn't escaping).

Now that we live in the blistering hot south, I wish I could build them again to keep the heat out but the studs are only 4" thick. Not deep enough to install shutters.

Reply to
Julie