I would. I'd also use it.

Not exactly high grade gasoline.

nb

Reply to
notbob

The oil should be fine. Your furnace should have a filter, which you should change yearly.

Reply to
Paintedcow

#2 (diesel or fuel oil) can grow a fungus if it does not carry the right additive package.

Reply to
gfretwell

Algi - not fungus.

Reply to
clare

I've never heard of that, but I bet it will still burn just fine.

Reply to
Paintedcow

Not all old fuel oil is bad but most bad fuel oil is old.

Reply to
Walter

It will plug the filters and if you don't filter it will plug the jet orifice.

Reply to
clare

Some kind of living stuff that plugs filters. It is common in boats. I assume any warm humid place would do it tho.

Reply to
gfretwell

That makes sense.... But I'd think they probably have the additives in the oil to prevent that from happening.

Reply to
Paintedcow

On Monday, November 7, 2016 at 10:02:21 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wro te:

In the 90s I was part of a project to dig up old underground heating oil st orage tanks and replace them with modern up to code tanks.

The oil I pumped out of the old tanks was pretty good even though it had be en unused for many years.

A few years later some of the new tanks needed replacement, and we pumped t he new oil. These tanks had a foot of jelly in the bottom. The experts to ld us the formulation of heating oil had changed and they now grew some kin d of bacterial growth that didn't happen before.

Reply to
TimR

Thanks for the info. Looks like it should be fine as long as I don't dredge-up the bottom muck.

Reply to
vpnp.66

...and of course change filters & nozzles.

Reply to
vpnp.66

Filter it as you withdraw it from the tank and when the filter plugs, you are done.

Reply to
gfretwell

I have a few dozen gallons that my Dad got mixed up with gasoline. I mean, he confused it with gasoline, and so he mixed it up with 2-stroke engine oil.

I know I can't use it for any type of engine, nor in the oil furnace. What I was wondering is if anyone can think of a good use, other than producing inordinate amounts of white smoke.

Reply to
Mike Duffy

My father got fuel oil in his 1950 Chevy. He had to clean the fuel filter a couple of times at first, but once diluted it ran. Diluted enough it will run in a gas engine.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

a 40:1 mix with 2 stroke oil should burn just fine in a furnace.

Reply to
clare

Works as good as Round-up for edging your fence, if you don't get caught.

Reply to
Red

If it needs anything, some type 1 kerosene might loosen it up. A little alcohol is used to condition kerosene. Some burners do either type 1 or 2.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

It also depends on what conditions the tank was exposed to. An underground tank or a tank in a basement would be preferable to one that's above ground, exposed to wide temp swings, causing condensation, etc. A full tank is better than a mostly empty one. I'd probably draw some and examine it.

Reply to
trader_4