Does code require a switched receptical if you have switched overheads?

I'm located in the US/MA. Finishing off a basement room and adding a couple of circuits. I will have overhead recessed lighting wired to a switch on the wall at the door entrance. Do I still need to have a wall receptical wired to the switch, or does the fact that the overheads are switched cover this?

generally if there is a way to turn on a light that is all that is required.
You will need recpts <12 feet apart for the area.
Not sure if MA has any special additions. Call the "authority" and ask on Monday. You could always check your cities web page.

not telling us, there is certainly no requirement to have outlets on lighting circuits. What makes you spell receptacle that ?
And finally, you are aware the outlets have to be GFCI aren't you?
And finally, you are aware the outlets have to be GFCI aren't you?
Is this a code change I'm not aware of? Unless something has changed, only outlets in "unfinished" parts of the basement have to be GFCI protected

But isn't that a bit strange? Why would they be required in unfinished, but not finished? Better insulation on the floor?
On 3/5/06 5:47 PM, in article FNJOf.16559$ snipped-for-privacy@news01.roc.ny, "Toller"

Presumably because an unfinished basement is more likely to have water on the floor, and a finished basement probably implemented measures to prevent this..

Not in a finished basement, they don't. Probably prudent anyway, but not a Code requirement.
--
Regards,
Dr.John wrote:

That's the usual case. The switched receptacle is in lieu of a switched ceiling outlet.
snipped-for-privacy@worldemail.com says...

The receptacles in our current house are split top/bottom. The tops in every room (except kitchen) are switched and the bottoms aren't. I'm sure it's a bit more expensive to do this but it is nice; highly recommended.
--
Keith

You have the Code requirements turned around.
The requirement is for a minimum of one switched "lighting outlet" (e.g. an overhead light fixture) per room, but (except in kitchens and bathrooms) one or more switched wall receptacles may be used in lieu of a dedicated lighting outlet. IOW -- Code never requires switched receptacles, but allows them in place of otherwise-required overhead lighting.
--
Regards,
When I remodel I install extra wall receptables, they are pretty cheap, and dont forget pre wiring for sat, cable or ethernet.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Same here. I added an 18x30 addition and specified ouitlets every 8 ft. Mistake. I should have specified two circuits and no farther than 6 ft.
Harry K
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com ( snipped-for-privacy@aol.com) said...

Even better: install conduit.
When we built our home, we had "media outlets" in every room with conduit home runs to a cabinet in the basement. The cabinet has the sattellite feeds, and telephone line coming into it and houses a DSL modem and router.
When we need to add something to a room (phone, ethernet, coax, speaker wire) it is a simple job. The conduit was a small extra cost and I didn't have to guess what might be needed where - you always end up paying for too much cable in some places and end up with not quite enough somewhere else.
--
Calvin Henry-Cotnam
"I really think Canada should get over to Iraq as quickly as possible"