Do they make 6 inch concrete blocks?

Page 1 of 4
I have a small deck built in stacked 8 inch concrete blocks. I first put in concrete pads in the ground, then stacked three 8 inch concrete blocks on top and built the deck on them. This deck was fine in the summer, but when winter came, I found it was too close to the bottom of the storm door on the house. Just the smallest amount of ice on the deck and we cant open the storm door. As soon as the ice and snow is gone, I want to lower the deck about 2 inches. I can easily lift it with a jack. My idea is to remove the top 8 inch block and replace it with a 6 inch one in all four corners. But, do they make 6 inch blocks? I know 8" is the most common, and they make 4" ones. But I never seens 6" ones. I suppose if nothing else I can make some solid ones with a wooden form and some Redi-Mix.
Thanks
On 2/15/2011 4:08 AM, snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com wrote:

It might be easier to install a strip of electric heat tape to melt the ice around the door threshold. Perhaps there is enough room under the threshold to install some heat tape?
TDD

Nobody is paying attention to what seems (to this non-techie) a simple solution. You all got off on rebuilding the deck according to code. AFAK, the guy is only trying to get his ****ing door open in winter. What am I missing?
HB
On 2/16/2011 12:26 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:

That's why I suggested heat tape. With the deck closer to the indoor floor level, there is less chance of someone tripping and falling when going through the door. :-)
TDD

Go outside and look at the difference between your front porch or steps and the door transom. It's often several inches. People deal with it. They don't even know they are dealing with it, it's just instinctive.
On 2/17/2011 6:56 AM, jamesgangnc wrote:

In the case of a deck, things might be different because many people use their back deck for entertainment, outdoor cooking, etc and the deck is often pretty much level with the door which is often a kitchen door. My front door has a drop of 6" to the top step of 7. My back deck/porch is level with the interior floor on the other side of the sliding glass door. I'm glad because there is less chance of me tripping when I carry a big pan of pieces of lifeless animal carcasses to the grill. ^_^
TDD

Sure, if you have a sliding glass door. But if you have a hinged exterior door that opens outward and you live in the north you better have a few inches of drop or you will have the problem that the original poster came here with. Before you accused him of having a shoddy deck without having any facts.
On 2/17/2011 11:41 AM, jamesgangnc wrote:

Excuse me?! I didn't accuse anyone of anything, you may be getting your posts mixed up there feller. I would appreciate it if you would point out where you think I may have been nasty to the OP which is something I never do, even when arguing politics. :-)
TDD

What can I say, I mix up the two of you up. You had the heat tape idea.

Yep, when I had my front stoop/steps poured I made the mistake of making it level with the 'entry'. Big mistake. I for sure was smart enough not to do that on the patio side.
Harry K
<stuff snipped>

Good golly, what do you eat that you can fit several of their bodies on a pan? Possums? Squirrels? Pigeons? Mice? (-:
-- Bobby G.
On 2/18/2011 9:55 AM, Robert Green wrote:

Neighborhood pets and the occasional small child. I love children, the toes are the crunchy part. :-O
TDD
On Fri, 18 Feb 2011 10:03:07 -0600, The Daring Dufas

You do it for the children?
On 2/19/2011 10:20 AM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

Oh yea, my newest girlfriend is Addison Olivia XXX, I've known Addy's mom since she was a little girl. Addy started walking a month ago and she doesn't quite know what to make of me when I go for her toes. She's so tiny and one day she'll have hair. :-)
TDD

it sounds like the deck isnt attached to the building, and thats a safety hazard. 3 8 inch blocks is high enough for someone to get hurt if the deck comes off the blocks.
and at home resale time a home inspector will make it into the end of the world.... but it might just end the sale:(
If he rebuilds the deck now or has it rebuilt to code, he can do the work himself or a handyman can.
push this off to home resale time, and buyer will demand registered everything

Decks are not required to be attached to the house. Some people prefer to build them that way as it avoids opening the house siding to attach the deck frame. Again you don't know what you are talking about.
Even if he lives in a location that requires tie downs he can simply get some tie downs and add them to comply with local code. Without changing his deck at all.

I want a cite that decks dont need to be attached to the building.....
-snip-

am I reading this correctly; p1- #5 "Decks off cantilevered houses require deck joists to either be run to the bearing wall or be supported independently" http://www.niskayuna.org/Public_Documents/NiskayunaNY_Building/Deck.pdf
Sounds to me like a deck can be independently supported.
Jim

#6 deck ledger boards must be bolted to the home and footer must be at least 42 inches deep to minimize freeze heaving.....

Only the inspector knows for sure- but I think #5 is saying that 'independently supported' is a possibility.
*If* there is a ledger board involved, it must comply with #6.
Jim