Do they make ..........

6" leach field pipe? I have some 4", but need a piece of light 6" for a squirrel trap. Haven't seen it at Lowe's or HD.
Steve
On Sun, 11 Jul 2010 12:52:33 -0700, "Steve B"

24' stick. Take a saw ;-)
On Sun, 11 Jul 2010 12:52:33 -0700, "Steve B"

Did you google it? hehehehe
I couldn't resist

"Did you bing it?" just doesn't sound right, does it ;-)
On Sun, 11 Jul 2010 20:38:20 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@malch.com (Malcolm Hoar) wrote:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Google
On Sun, 11 Jul 2010 12:52:33 -0700, "Steve B"

Gotta be leach field? Ya mean the plastic stuff with holes in the bottom- or the old clay tiles? I've got a couple pieces of the clay. Drop by [I'm in NY<g>] and I'll trade you for a welding lesson.
Try a culvert place to see if they've got some scraps? Last time I dropped by mine they were happy to part with a bunch of 8" plastic that was busted up.
Where's the trap plans? I'm always looking for new ways to automate my squirrel/chipmunk population control.
Jim

We get rock squirrels here. Huge bastards. Stripped two of my almond trees. Sneaky, sneaky, sneaky.
Going to take a big plastic barrel with no top. Cut a piece of pipe about 2x the diameter of the barrel. Make it so that it balances half on the barrel, half sticking out at a right angle. Put a stop on the end over the barrel so that it cannot flip up, only down. Cut said pipe down a little into the barrel so that as it tips down, the inside of the edge of the barrel will keep Mr. Squirrel from running out that end. Balance it exactly so that it always returns to horizontal, hitting the stop above it. Put a limb diagonal up to the entry of the pipe. Slather the inside with peanut butter. Mr. Squirrel goes in, the end of the pipe rests against the upper stop above the end, making it feel solid. And once past center, his weight causes the pipe to tip vertical, dumping him into water that is squirrel deep plus six inches. Inside of pipe must be slick, as inside of white/black sewer pipe is, so he can't get any traction to run out. I think when it tips, it will dump him so fast that he won't have time to run out, and they weigh like three pounds, so he should drop pretty fast. He'll also be headed downhill, so will take him a bit to turn around. Considered the 4" so that he couldn't turn around, but would have to test to see if they will enter that small a pipe.
I was going to mount the thing like those little buckets on water features that fill with water, then tip over to drain all the water, so that when deceased smelly squirrel needs disposal, I shall just fill up with water, and it will dump over canyon wall, where it will be located. Will also have one under apple tree, current main squirrel target.
I have neighbors waiting for me to make and test these. BIG problem with these around here. I can become rich if this works. Will post pictures on flickr of construction, testing, and results.
;-)
Steve
On Sun, 11 Jul 2010 16:38:48 -0700, "Steve B"

If you don't post pictures of the finished product you'll be on my shit list!

If this works, I'll video it for youtube.
Steve
-snip-
'Great minds' & all that. My first thought on the trap was it was going to be some sort of box trap--- but then my mind went the same place as yours.

In my thoughts the pivot point was about 1/3 of the way over the bbl. -snip-

Put a little on the outside, too-- so squirrel #10 can still smell it-- and hear all the splashing and think he's missing something.<g>
-snip-

I can't wait for the youtube. My guess is he'll play teeter-totter a few times, then get greedy. Greed kills.

Our gray squirrels go 2-3 pounds. I'm going to try this with 4" as soon as it cools off enough to drag a barrel out of the bushes and knock the top off.

That will be the tough part for me. I think a foot of water ought to do the deed-- and I'll dump it in place every few days if necessary.

They've been eyeing my peach tree for a week--- 2 weeks to go til peaches. I got *1* last year because it was the last one on the tree and I picked it before it was ripe. Got *0* cherries this year because of the squirrels.
I do what I can with a pellet gun- but I need a sentry on duty 24-7. I've tried live traps- but after 2-3 in that many days, the remainders get smart. This trap has the potential of getting a 1/2 dozen a day & really thinning the herd.

Will you still talk to us peons when you've made your next billion$ ?
Jim

You seem to be having the same problems I have with them, and that is you can't sit there 24/7, and they will just wait you out. They will strip trees here in a day, and it's always the day when you go to town or church or something. They have sentries posted. I have used the 5 gallon buckets, and even caught the large squirrels in them, but they are big enough to jump out, or just hang onto something and not fall in the water. The 5 gallon ones work great for mice and pack rats.
My neighbor sat in the canyon one day with his .22 and a scope and killed 22 of them. But they have litters twice a year, and will repopulate quickly. I think I'm going to put some fallen apples in the water with a little yeast to get a nice fragrance going. I still like the autodump feature, and may work on that, as I am a welder.
It's a bear to walk out, and your whole tree's fruit is gone.
http://www.desertusa.com/animals/rock_squirrel.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pack_rat
Not to worry. If I didn't continue to associate with the peons, who would I sell the plans to? ;-)
I am getting my cabg book ready to publish this week online, too. I'm excited about that.
Steve
Sounds like industrial variation of the old mouse trap. Best of luck, hope it works fine for you.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Buy regular 6" and drill a few holes. I don't recall ever seeing it.
Oh and do share those plans if it works.
--
Colbyt

Don't want any holes, as those little buggers have claws to grab on to the insides of the pipe. Want him to just slide down into the water, nothing to grab for traction. I thought about this for two hours the other day while driving to Vegas, and have a couple of brain fart/storms during the drive.
Steve

When you said leach field I thought you meant the one with holes. Our Lowes has the 6" in regular and lightweight. The lightweight is near the yard grates and stuff, not with the other pipe.
Here is all I could find quickly on the web.
Foam Core Pipe
Item #: 86806 | Model #: PVC 04600 0600
6" x 10' PVC DWV Schedule 40 Foam Core Pipe
--
Colbyt

Wrap the tree with some flashing. The world has an inexhaustible supply of squirrels. They are all hungry.

They make leach field pipe in sections that have holes or not.
Steve
Leach field pipe, as I understand. Has holes so the water can soak into the ground. 6 inch PVC drain pipe (no holes) sounds like your answer. That, or a lot of teenagers with air rifles. And a bounty on squirrel heads.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Steve B wrote:

Your city uses plastic pipe of all sizes for water and sewer (I'll bet). If you go by the public works station house, They probably have oodles of scraps from which you can select a piece.
You may have to drill your own holes...