Do I need a Breaker Box?

I bought an old house in the country. Someone must have stolen the breaker box. I got those two fat wires that come in from the outside pole. Then there's about 12 to 15 small wires, some balck soem white. I know all the white ones go together as well as all the blacks. Why cant I just wrap all the white wires to one of those fat wires and all the black ones to that other fat wire and tape them up real well. Breaker boxes are expensive and I cant afford one. I dont see why I'd really need to shut off the power ever, and I dont plan on using a lot of electric stuff anyhow. No one is going to inspect this either. I just want to get the power turned on as cheap as I can. If I ever get a lot of money maybe I'll put in a breaker box at a later date, but not now.
One thing. Both fat wires are black. Does it matter which one I put the white wires on? I noticed that outside one of them is bare silver colored and the other one is black where they go to the pole, but in the house both are black.
Jose
Just in case this isn't a troll...
This is a really BAD idea. The breakers are not there (just) to shut off circuits. They are to keep your house from burning down WHEN something fails. Even if the house doesn't burn down a fault can fry a large section of your wiring, requiring major repairs.
The good news is that when the power company comes out to take a look before turning the power on, they will probably just shoot you...

That excludes you, because you can't even recognize a troll.
or you/your

Hard to tell the difference with some people here.
I thought troll, composed a flip answer and did post it for fear that it was Buffy Bumf*** with a real question.
When you have seen as many half-assed repairs as I have over the years you come to understand that a lot of people are a few fries short of a Happy Meal.
Colbyt
You don't need a box or a meter. Put the wires together like you want ,then go outside with two short pieces of copper pipe with the ends flattened to use as jumper bars to take the place as the meter!! Free power !! UNTIL THEY SLAP YOUR ASS IN JAIL !!!! Jr
On Fri, 25 Feb 2011 01:26:16 -0600, JoseGomez wrote:

Wrap black electrical tape around the ends of the smaller white wires, then they'll behave like smaller black wires and you can just hook them up to whichever larger black wire you want. It might be a good idea to throw an old light switch into the mix, too, just so you can turn the power off if you ever need to.
On Fri, 25 Feb 2011 11:00:54 -0500, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Ha, I only read your post after I'd sent mine. Great minds etc.
YES you need the protection of a breaker box!!! It's not only code, but it's extremely important from many aspects, the least of which is burning down your house the first time you connect something that would normally pop a breaker or fuse.
In typed: :: I bought an old house in the country. Someone must have :: stolen the breaker box. I got those two fat wires that :: come in from the outside pole.
Those are the two 120 Vac wires coming in. There should be another large, bare wire for Earth Ground.
Then there's about 12 to :: 15 small wires, some balck soem white. I know all the :: white ones go together as well as all the blacks.
You are wrong! All the black wires do NOT go together! That would be the same as connecting the two hots coming in from the pole together. Immediate explosion and fire!
Why :: cant I just wrap all the white wires to one of those fat :: wires and all the black ones to that other fat wire and :: tape them up real well. Breaker boxes are expensive and I :: cant afford one. I dont see why I'd really need to shut :: off the power ever, and I dont plan on using a lot of :: electric stuff anyhow. No one is going to inspect this :: either. I just want to get the power turned on as cheap :: as I can. If I ever get a lot of money maybe I'll put in :: a breaker box at a later date, but not now.
Well, if that's what you want to do, go ahead and do it. It'll never work for you and will have power limited only by the transformer outside, which is many, many watts of power and fire! :: :: One thing. Both fat wires are black. Does it matter which :: one I put the white wires on?
The whites don't go to the "fat" wires. They go to earth ground.
I noticed that outside one :: of them is bare silver colored and the other one is black :: where they go to the pole, but in the house both are black. :: :: Jose
If you're for real, you may be about to die unless you get someone to come in and do that job properly. I suspect you are a troll, but ... you sure sound like this isn't for you to do!
On Feb 25, 2:26am, snipped-for-privacy@aol-dotcom.com wrote:

This was not an uncommon site to see when I was in S Korea.....neither was house fires caused by electrical faults. Great troll.
Jimmie