Dishwasher NOT ADJACENT sink

Page 2 of 4

on 7/21/2008 1:45 PM Steve Barker DLT said the following:

Everyone has their own way of doing things. I rinse my dishes before putting them into the dishwasher. For me, I feel it is less work for the dishwasher and more economical, since I don't have to use the higher 'scrub' settings to clean egg, cheese, or other hard to remove, or baked on residue off the dishes. I've never had a failure with any of my dishwashers in 45+ years, other than the rubber coating rusting off the trays, which replacement costs are almost as much as a new washer. If I ever do need a new pump or have some other mechanical failure, I'll ask the repairman if it was caused by my rinsing the dishes before I put them in the washer.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Disgusting. You do realize that there is no garbage grinding/disposal system on your dishwasher no matter what the manual says, right? All that gunk is going down your drains. Gross.

where does your disposal system flush it's remnants?

I don't have a garbage diposal. If I did, its remnants would be ground up. The dishwasher has no such device, and the outflow is below where a disposal would be anyway. The raw gunk is going down your drains.

you need to think about this some more. whether it's ground up or not, it all is the same stuff, and goes the same place.

How do you figure? I don't put ANY food bits into either my sink or my dishwasher. Why is this a tough concept?
ya, just like the toilet. No grinder on that either.

On Jul 21, 8:07pm, "Steve Barker DLT"

Umm, the toilet has a stack to remove solids, the sink has a narrow pipe. Do the math. No solids of any sort should go down a sink pipe. Even if you do have a disposal, how would the dishwasher run-off water get run through it? Do you run the disposal the entire time the dishwasher is draining? And is the water outflow even connected above the disposal. No. The outflow is connected below the disposal, so no, food should NEVER go in a dishwasher.
On Mon 21 Jul 2008 09:34:08p, told us...

Many American made dishwashers do, indeed, have a grinding mechanism despite what you don't believe. There is usually also a guard to prevent oversized pieces of food from making it to the grinder. Those stay in the dishwasher to be removed by hand. Modern diswasher detergents also cause many foodstuffs to disintegrate during the washing cycle, so it's not like "chunks" of anything are going down the "narrow little drain pipe".
European made dishwasher seldom have a grinding mechanism, however, they have find screens to catch food particles that are later removed by hand. This also applies to American made dishwashers that don't have a grinding mechanism.
Do the research.
--
Wayne Boatwright
.

Those grinders in most dishwashers are just a backup in case someone does put food in and if it get past the guard. They are not a replacement of an actual food disposer. I just do a quick rinse in the sink, the dishes and pots come out better.
I never had much luck with dishwashers. Had them leak etc. Finally gave up and now do dishes by hand..Not too bad if you get after them right after meals.
I have a summer home that is vacant in the winter and it was difficult to winterize the DW even though I drained the hoses per the directions. Haven't had that problem with the clothes washer (or the rest of the house for that matter).... In fact, never had near the problems with clothes washers that I've had with DW's...
On Jul 22, 6:51�am, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote:

well I have had my dishwasher draining down a rubber hose to my basement washtub, and never had a clog.
I never rinse the dishes before washing.
would you rinse your clothes before putting them in the clothes washer???
on 7/22/2008 7:38 AM snipped-for-privacy@aol.com said the following:

Great!
Add your name in the 'No Rinse' column.

My wife has often told me, "Don't you put those muddy/oily/greasy clothes in my washing machine before rinsing them off", so I guess that would be a Yes, if I know what's good for me.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
"well I have had my dishwasher draining down a rubber hose to my basement washtub, and never had a clog. I never rinse the dishes before washing. would you rinse your clothes before putting them in the clothes washer???" -------------------------
Not sure what your point is... As I said, I don't even use a dishwasher. I wouldn't do my clothes by hand if that helps you at all..
If you're not doing periodic mainatanance on your dishwasher, you're actually pulling out a more disgusting and potentially harmfull (to your health) dish than you've put in there..
I'd love to hear what you all do to clean your dishwashers...? I bet most people don't do anything and think this is ok...
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote:

On what information do you base your contention that what comes out is "more disgusting and potentially harmful"?
What "periodic maintenance" do you believe to be necessary?
--John
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote:

Obviously it is okay...
I'm not stepping over the bodies of dishwasher derelicts.
I bet you don't even eat food that you drop on the floor!

I follow the 3 second rule on that, if you can get it back into your mouth in 3 seconds after its been on the floor, you're fine.

I like in2's earlier citation:

That's classic!
And so is this alternative viewpoint:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y-yH_Qyipc
George Carlin RIP
On Thu 24 Jul 2008 04:14:47a, told us...

Dishwashers don't really require much maintenance. I check the filter screen of mine to see if there are any larger particles that didn't dissolve or pass through the screen. Dishwasher detergents usually have some amount of bleach in them. Water temperatures plus the bleach are enough to sanitize. I also use a product in the closed detergent cup called Lemi-Shine which is essentially a citric acid concentrate. My dishwasher is always scrupulously clean. Frankly, I think you are either seriously OCD or a complete idiot.
--
Wayne Boatwright