Dishwasher NOT ADJACENT sink

Hmmmm.. interesting. I've never had one fail either. in fact, the one i'm using now (for about 22 years) i got used because a friend couldn't stand looking at the missing vinyl on the top rack.

Steve Barker DLT

Perhaps YOUR's doesn't have a grinder. Well there's a chopper down there on mine and the hose leaving the DW is only 3/4 inch, and it dumps into a

1-1/2" line. I rekon it's no worse than some people shoving everything under the sun down the garbage disposal. It all ends up in the same place. I don't really see where it's disgusting. It's just food. s
Reply to
Steve Barker DLT

ya, just like the toilet. No grinder on that either.

Steve Barker DLT

BUT, then the stove would be right next to the frig, and my intuition tells me that's not good. I don't know why but I feel it. Maybe someone could address this point.

My stove has been next to the frig for the last 20 years without problems. However having counter space on both sides of the stove to set pots on is better.

Reply to
Pat

Ok , I see your situation now. Your better off leaving the stove where it is. better to have counter space on either side.

Reply to
Mikepier

Can you possibly put up a photo of the arrangement? Perhaps one of us could comeup with a reasonable alternative.

Reply to
celticsoc

One thing to keep in mind. Since you have a fridge on one side and a stove on the other, how will the dishwasher be secured, and how will the countertop be secured. You will have to put some kind of panel or cleat on either side of the dishwasher to support the counter. If your fridge has panels on each side, then you need to just worry about the stove side. Something to think about.

Reply to
Mikepier

How do you figure? I don't put ANY food bits into either my sink or my dishwasher. Why is this a tough concept?

Reply to
tmclone

Umm, the toilet has a stack to remove solids, the sink has a narrow pipe. Do the math. No solids of any sort should go down a sink pipe. Even if you do have a disposal, how would the dishwasher run-off water get run through it? Do you run the disposal the entire time the dishwasher is draining? And is the water outflow even connected above the disposal. No. The outflow is connected below the disposal, so no, food should NEVER go in a dishwasher.

Reply to
tmclone

Yes, mine has a "grinder", not that I'd ever expect that to do anything. It's disgusting because all that food will eventually clog and back up into the sink. It takes two seconds to rinse the dishes. I guess that's why advertisers talk about "stuck on food". What they really mean is "lazy people".

On Mon 21 Jul 2008 09:34:08p, told us...

Many American made dishwashers do, indeed, have a grinding mechanism despite what you don't believe. There is usually also a guard to prevent oversized pieces of food from making it to the grinder. Those stay in the dishwasher to be removed by hand. Modern diswasher detergents also cause many foodstuffs to disintegrate during the washing cycle, so it's not like "chunks" of anything are going down the "narrow little drain pipe".

European made dishwasher seldom have a grinding mechanism, however, they have find screens to catch food particles that are later removed by hand. This also applies to American made dishwashers that don't have a grinding mechanism.

Do the research.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

On Mon 21 Jul 2008 09:48:17p, h told us...

Don't you suppose that's why dishwasher manufacturer's have designed machines to accomodate the "lazy people"?

I have had dishwashers in every home I've ever lived in since childhood and never ever had any type of clogging problem, much less any disgusting problem caused by not rinsing the dishes. Hell, if I have to rinse them, I might as well just wash them by hand. Zeesh!

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

on 7/22/2008 12:52 AM Wayne Boatwright said the following:

I use my dishwasher my way. You want me to use it your way. Therefore, and from now on, I will not rinse my dishes before putting them into the dishwasher. Zeesh!

Reply to
willshak

Exactly.

Steve Barker DLT

I don't like the idea of traps hidden behind cabinets.

The directions in many/most dishwashers say the outlet should rise to a certain level and then discharge direct;u into a drain before a trap. Most machines today keep some water in the "sump."

You can consider running the drain from the D/W as far over as it can reach toward the sink and then connect it to an "air break" device which would stick up above the counter. From the "air break" the line goes directly into the drain or the disposal.

Once every few years you have problems with the D/W drain. When there is a problem you want to know ASAP rathern than find out because the water starts dripping down into the basement.

** Posted from
**
Reply to
John Gilmer

You can obsess about it all you want, but I've never had a problem. I run the disposal before the DW and the DW drains through the disposal. Perhaps your house has problems with faulty plumbing, but please don't admonish those of us that do not.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

=2E

Those grinders in most dishwashers are just a backup in case someone does put food in and if it get past the guard. They are not a replacement of an actual food disposer. I just do a quick rinse in the sink, the dishes and pots come out better.

Reply to
Mikepier

I never had much luck with dishwashers. Had them leak etc. Finally gave up and now do dishes by hand..Not too bad if you get after them right after meals.

I have a summer home that is vacant in the winter and it was difficult to winterize the DW even though I drained the hoses per the directions. Haven't had that problem with the clothes washer (or the rest of the house for that matter).... In fact, never had near the problems with clothes washers that I've had with DW's...

Reply to
in2-dadark

Lemme guess, you've never actually seen a garbage disposal. Most of them have built in connectors for dishwasher drains and those connectors are at the top, not the bottom. Don't believe me, go down to Home Depot and examine the display models.

Reply to
J. Clarke

well I have had my dishwasher draining down a rubber hose to my basement washtub, and never had a clog.

I never rinse the dishes before washing.

would you rinse your clothes before putting them in the clothes washer???

Reply to
hallerb