Disappearing Toilet Water

Hello,

Does anyone have any idea what may cause the water to disappear from the bowl section of a toilet? My toilet just started to loose water with no visible signs of the water anywhere on the floor? Could there me be a crack in the internal portion causing the water to go down the drain?

Any ideas on the cause and any solutions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Reply to
Jeff Cirilis

A bad toilet flapper, or if you have a plunger ball , old style unit , needs periodic replacement. Put some dye in the tank you will see it in the bowl. That is the easy way to find a leaking flapper.

Reply to
m Ransley

If it only does this when other toilets (or fixtures) are flushed, it might be a clogged vent. But if it does it when nothing else is being used, there could well be an internal defect in the bowl. One other possibility is a foreign object caught in the bowl trap passage. Things like a small cloth or even wad of dental floss can cause water to "siphon" out of the trap by capillary action. Run a closet auger thru to see what comes out.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

A blocked vent stack (bird nest, dead bird etc.) could result in the water being "sucked out" of the bowl by water going down connected drains...

John

Reply to
John

Do you have a pet dog in the house? Sometimes they get thirsty...

Doug Miller

Jeff,

I found high winds could cause this too happen. It's all about pressure differentials.

Ross

Reply to
RMD

Do you have a dog?