Digital TV question

I know that soon we will all be forced to buy a convertor or else a new tv, or we wont get anything on the older sets. I am not ready to buy a new tv. My older one (which is only 2 years old) is still in good shape. On the other hand, I am considering buying a new DVD/VCR combo. Do those have the digital tv capabilities in their tuners? I (Think) I could use the tuner on that DVD/VCR to get the digital signal into my standard tv. Is this possible?
Thanks
Alvin
snipped-for-privacy@notmail.com wrote:

Hi, Simply you need a cable box with PVR. I don't think they'll have VCR with digital tuner. VCRs are way out. Even DVD is moving to HD such as Blue ray. Right now all this TV business is in transit. It'll take little more time to settle down with better price. In the mean time we have 1080P Plasma set with PVR cable box and 7.1 surrounds sound home thater. Our regular DVD/VCR deck is fed thru A/V receiver up converted.
On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 08:46:46 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@notmail.com wrote:

Supposedly you realize that this is true only if your ONLY source of TV is antenna. Cable and satellite systems, VCRs, DVD players, etc... won't be affected.

Some do, although many don't yet. If a digital tuner is important to you, be sure to check before buying.

It should be. I'd expect any non-TV device with a digital tuner to have one or more suitable (non-NTSC outputs). Make sure they're the same type as your TV (converters for those are expensive).
YUV (YPbPr, component video) still seems to be the most common. This is analog, but is still much better than NTSC.

Mark Lloyd

The direct answer to the question is yes:
http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-12760_7-9675202-5.html
Whether you need one, of course, depends on if you're receiving over the air and want to use that as the ATSC digital tuner. Also, you may want to check into the govt rebates that are coming and wait a bit. They will be giving 2 $40 coupons to any household that receives only via OTA, ie doesn't have cable/sat. The coupons can be used toward an atsc tuner. It definitely covers a stand alone tuner. Not sure if it will cover the dvd/vcr widget, though it seems it may.

I receive my signals from the air and they're digital. Works really well too. We're recieving some 70 channels all off the air. Free!
--
Zyp

70 channels OTA???? You lucky dog : ) I can get about 6 + 6 subchannels and half of those are junk (the sub channel). Where are you located?
On Oct 15, 9:46 am, snipped-for-privacy@notmail.com wrote:

You ONLY have to buy a converter if you get your TV from over the air... i.e. through an antenna.