digital tv

Page 3 of 4
On 2/9/2009 3:25 PM mm spake thus:

Nah, punched paper tape, that's the way to go. Wax can melt.
--
Personally, I like Vista, but I probably won\'t use it. I like it
On 02/09/09 07:02 pm David Nebenzahl wrote:

And paper tape can burn. Clay tablets are more reliable still.
Perce

Or chip it into a rock or perhaps engrave it with a laser? Oh problem; how to read it when there are no more humans and or electrical civilizations on the earth? . And then when those 'other beings' arrive trying to read it; with expressions such as, "Wonder what these odd markings are?
And who was DESI or LUCEE (or maybe 'Lucy' a prehistoric African fossil)? And who was Schworzeneiger (big nose?), Roofelt (who had wheels for locomotion?), Obam Bam (a colourful speaker?) Martin Luter (perhaps a musician with a large following?).
A leading and well respected figure in one part of the planet appears to have been a male personage called "Big Abe'".
Other confusing partial translations, (possibly leaders?) being Church Hill, Put In, Net and you, Gandee or maybe Gandi?, Greesome (maybe a farmer?), Arm Strong (maybe an athlete?). Rebar and Win Free were apparently famous females, as also Munrow, and someone called Elizabeth One and Too?
Others; Choo en lay. Also, Chang K Shek (perhaps an Arab potentate?) and Sad Man Hussan (something Persian?). Also a Sam or (Sammy) heavily laden with a bin (completely incomprehensible and contradictory references to that individual?).
Other figures were Gengis Carn, Chung Dynasty? Marcus Polar (maybe an explorer?). And a Scott or Scottee so named by a leader called Shaftner or ...... ?
The so called 'homo, not so sapiens' appear to have been a late species of ape mutation, some tens (maybe 100,000?) thousands of years ago, who over-bred. Thereby so polluting, shortsightedly killing off other species, and using up the resources of their planet, that they died out. Signs of their destructive living style are still evident.
They employed primitive flying machines and also engaged in ground, water and aerial warfare, which wasted their energies and skills which could have been employed in reducing their numbers and saving their species so as to survive on a more limited basis.
There are also signs of some sort (or several sorts) of a belief in a mythical (godlike) being (or beings?) or some sort of supernatural force. However it is also evident that there was no agreement between the different factions. Apparently each group considered itself the only true faith or 'religion' and were highly intolerant of other groups. To the eventual demise of all beliefs following breakdown of the planets natural rhythms and systems.
There is a minor chance that a few 'homo sapiens' (Wise apes) as they ironically called themselves, escaped to another planet or system. But whether a small group would have survived with the limited intelligence and skills they displayed, is unlikely.
Anyway life moves on and one species more or less in the great scheme of things is of no consequence as we think headquarters will agree. We now move on to other planets in this immediate solar system and will report any further signs of 'humana vitae', if any!

I was merely commenting on those who procrastinated for more than two years, did not get around to getting the freebies (or close there to) for all that time and now are getting all flumoxed about that what they had studiously ignored for all that time fit a specific demographic that isn't exactly advertiser friendly. You have any suggestion that I was wrong?

Amen.

To date the US government has shown no interest in market-based decisions in this respect. It merely directed that analogue broadcasting should stop on date D.
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs
Don Phillipson wrote:

There's a "Guardian" mindset (government) and a "Commercial" mindset. "Guardian" solutions do not work well in a commercial environment and "commercial" solutions do not work well (if at all) in government.
"Guardian" techniques include: secrecy, honor, largess, hierarchy, obedience, and force. "Commercial" methods include: dissent, cooperation, reward, trust, and voluntary agreements.
A commercial tactic of incentive when applied to arrests (such as a bonus for each additional arrest) is obviously wrong. Obama's suggestion that there be a financial cap on certain salaries is equally flawed.
One lesson to take away: Success in business is not a guarantee of success as an office-holder - commerce and government demand completely different skill sets.
There is at least one exception to the above dichotomy: The Mafia. It has characteristics of both.
on 2/9/2009 6:01 AM (ET) pacca wrote the following:

Time Warner Cable and all other cable and satellite TV suppliers are already broadcasting digitally, so you are already viewing digital broadcasts. The converter boxes are for those people viewing TV by rooftop and rabbit ear antennas.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
willshak wrote:

Cable doesn't broadcast it cable casts.
--
<<//--------------------\>>
Van Chocstraw

A disability is a terrible thing.
I'm collecting money to help it learn to broadcast.
Be all you can be.
Send checks to POB 2102434, Baltimore MD 21255.
Van Chocstraw wrote:

Willshak is wrong on the basic facts, as well. Lots of cable systems are still sending out the 'basic' channels as analog signals, and will work fine with 'cable ready' TVs and no converter box. This is true even if they are getting a digital stream from the local OTA stations. They are re-transmitting it as analog, so people with old TVs still see the 'DTV Ready' screen card when the tests happen.
Some cities (apparently including Chicago, judging from the traffic on here), the local cable company is trying to drop providing analog signal through the wire, and force everyone into expen$ive set-top boxes, which also give them more bandwidth to play with.
But, analog feed will eventually go away everywhere, and we will all be stuck with the damn boxes. Begs the question- why even make TVs any more? Just sell big monitors with integral sound systems, and better-quality converter/tuner boxes for OTA use. Same business model as home stereos- you can upgrade one component at a time, and only buy the pieces you want or need.
-- aem sends...

Yes, some places Cable uses that as a selling point, and for some people it is. Also gets people used to using cable, and some of them will upgrade later, especially if they get a job.

ONe advantage of a tv with a tuner (maybe cable boxes allow for this too, but I don't know) is that one can record one show while tuning the tv to watch a different channel. I'm going to miss that next week. I will be able to on my dvdr-harddrive watch a recorded show while recording another show, but that won't let me view two shows transmitted at the same time.

In my area, Comcast used strong arm tactics to get people converted to all digital. They did it by taking some of the popular channels in the basic package and making them digital only. If you had the basic package, you did not get a reduction in price for fewer channels. What you got was an offer to get a converter box and a reduced price on the basic DIGITAL package for a year. About the only reason I had stayed with comcast was because I didn't want to have a set top box. Once they made a box madatory, they no longer had any advantage over satellite, which was cheaper. That's when they lost me.
Going digital is a huge cost advantage for cable providers, as it reduces infrastructure costs. They can serve more people with less wire capacity.
They have a big incentive to discontinue analog as quickly as possible even without the OTA changeover coming.

Totally agree. Not only did they take away the channels, Hallmark, Oxygen, WE, and others, but they just raised the prices for basic cable...again , while not raising the prices for the other tiers. I had Direct TV years ago, but couldn't get local programming, now you can so I am thinking of going back to it. I hate Comcast.
Cheri
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

They did the same thing in my market. I can't believe how many satellite dishes suddenly appeared when they did that. My friend works as the administrator of a local municipality which granted the franchise to Comcast for their municipality. She said they had hundreds of calls and when they brought it up with Comcast they just shrugged it off since they are the only cable company.

On 02/10/09 09:46 am George wrote:

Is Comcast the only cable company in the area at all, or is Comcast the only one that has been granted a franchise by the municipality. I understand that Canton, Michigan has cable service from two different companies, so residents have a choice. I don't know which two cable companies those are or whether some other municipalities also allow competition.
Perce
On 2/9/2009 2:33 PM Van Chocstraw spake thus:

Reminds me of what someone told me years ago about the new ISP he was forced to use: "I've been Comcasted."
--
Personally, I like Vista, but I probably won\'t use it. I like it

If what you say is true (TW already broadcasting in digital), then how can my TV receive them with the cable coming DIRECTLY into the set without going thru ANY cable/converter box?
I am of the impression that cable is NOT all digital. I do get some of the digital sub channels on my digital TV, but I also get all the basic channels on my other Non-digital TV's without any other box.
Can you explain this?
Hank <~~~~old, also ugly, at, bald and filthy.............rich!

Google on the term QAM Tuner. Many modern TVs have them. QAM is the method that cable companies use to transmit digital channels. Just because a channel is digital does not mean it is encrypted.

And just because someone says they are still receiving cable and it's not all digital doesn't mean QAM is being used. As others have pointed out, there are many cable systems that are still carrying some basic channels in NTSC analog. I can tune in the basic local channels here in NJ on Cablevision with an old TV with NTSC tuner.