Digital Thermostat for Heat Pump

I want to replace the thermosat in my mother's house, which has a heat pump. The thermostats at Home Depot either say for "single-stage" or "multi-stage" heat pumps. How do I know which heat pump she has?

It is a Bryant split-system # 541B/SHP, if that means anything to anyone.

Thanks.

Reply to
Buck Turgidson
99.9% of all heat pumps are 2 stage heat and 1 stage cool.

"multi-stage"

Reply to
HeatMan

"multi-stage"

ALL heat pumps have the option of 2 stages of heat... no one here can tell you what she has....but get the multi stage stat....and remember, Home Depot wont take it back if you fry it.. EXCHANGE it yes...refund it no..

If you care about your mom, you wont buy her a Lux, or a Hunter or that cheap ass Chinese crap they have now... Honeywell..you will get her... :)

Nope..other than its older Carrier owned stuff.

Reply to
CBHVAC

Buck Turgidson posted for all of us....

I'm gonna look at it another way; search Google and look up all the posts that say: I put on a new thermostat and now it doesn't work/heat/cool/let the smoke out... Now the present system could be wired to a standard or not. Another Google search will illustrate this. A good Honeywell stat from a reputable co that services it now will make both of you happy. Mom won't be hot and suffering because something is screwed up on a busy day for the service co. It only costs a few bux more to go first class. But then again that's me.

All you have to do is misconnect one wire and $$$$. Then again we don't know your abilities.

Have a guilt trip yet? Not my intention. Turtle & CBHVAC and select others really know their stuff. I am not in HVAC.

Reply to
Tekkie