Dewalt compressor - trouble today

Hi All,

I was on a roof today with a pneumatic nailer running on a ground-based Dewalt compressor. After light-duty cycling on/off for three hours, the compressor's work was finished.

I walk up to the compressor and the damn thing is covered in oil. Sheesh. The oil dipstick was on the ground a few inches away from the oil check port and it appears that the lubrication oil sprayed all over the compressor. The oil well looks dry and the compressor head was hotter than normal. If my compressor isn't burnt up, I'll have to find a way to wire the dip stick in place. Unbelievable for a 4 year old, lightly used compressor.

Two questions:

1) A label on the machine says to use Dewalt D55000 synthetic oil. The nearest Dewalt dealer is about 30 miles away. What brand/viscosity can I substitute for this specialty grade stuff?

2) If this compressor is hosed, what name brand can I buy that gets the simple engineering details right?

Reply to
Andrew Ross

Joe

Call DeWalt customer service. If they stonewall you, any 30 W synthetic should work.

Most anything air powered by Ingersol-Rand is decent quality. For smaller portable compressors you will see a lot of Senco on job sites. I've used a Hitachi 2 HP for the last three years or so. Still chugging along with no hassles, but not in daily service either. Might be wise to avoid box store brands, Campbell-Hausfield, Coleman and such.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

You need to find out why it threw out oil first, wiring the dipstick is wrong, something broke and is causing oil to be pushed out and likely ruined or seriously damaged the unit, if it didnt seize maybe it has life left.

Reply to
ransley