Dehumidifier freeze-up

I have a Kenmore dehumidifier which no matter what the temperature is ( in basement 60-70 degrees, or testing it outside in 90 degree weather ) the coils frost up pretty thick. The unit is about 6 years old. It can't be the temperature causing this constant freeze-up. What can I do first before chucking this thing and purchasing another unit.

Reply to
Al D

Telstra

Its likely low on freon

Reply to
ransley

Install freeze stat.

Well, depending on your skill level, that is.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Mine will always frost over when it first cycles, but then the frost melts (after a minute or two), and the unit works fine. Do you give it a few minutes to let the frost melt?

Reply to
Bill

If you have a 70 pint Kenmore and it was built in China and lasted 6 years, you are blessed. Throw it away and buy a Whirlpool with a five year refrigeration guarantee before that plant gets moved to China.

Reply to
Art

on 8/12/2007 7:56 PM Art said the following:

Sears does not make anything!!!!! They don't make Kenmore and they don't make Craftsman. They contract with other manufacturers to build their tools, appliances, mowers, and everything else they sell under their brand names, and have the company put their brand names on the item. More than likely, that Kenmore Dehumidifier was built by Whirlpool, or another large company, as are their washers, dryers, refrigerators, freezers, ranges, ACs, compactors, etc. You can tell who built the thing by looking up the first 3 numbers of the model number and checking here.

willshak

Like everything else it depends on appropriate use of the item. Sounds like you have a very humid atmosphere and your unit is running continuously in attempt to reduce that? Maybe a bigger unit, or several units, and/or AC is needed? We also have a small unit and at this time of year with warmer humid air entering the basement where the dehumidifier is located, it runs for long periods and dumps several litres each day before its float switch stops it. Only occasionally icing; provided we don't set the thing for the lowest humidity level. Am however considering changing the wiring so that the fan will run all the time it is plugged in. i.e. if it ices up the fan will blow ambient air; about 60 deg F through the iced up coils.

Reply to
terry