Deck question: screws or nail gun?

I am going to replace some of the boards on my deck and replace some railings which are bad. I was going to use screws but I have the opportunity to borrow from my buddy a Porter-Cable nail gun with compressor. I believe this particular tool is capable of driving nails with heads on them. I thought it would be faster and easier but was wondering what opinions everyone has.
Mikepier wrote:

nails
"nails with heads on them"...? I sure hope so!
Faster - yes. Easier - yes. Better - maybe not.
nails are fine. just make sure to use the right ones.
i prefer to predrill and screw it myself, but if i had an air nailer handy, i might rethink it.
randy

scribbled this interesting note:

Screws hold better. Ceramic coated screws stand up to treated lumber very well. Treated lumber is usually yellow pine which has a well known tendency to warp. Even ring or screw shank nails won't hold it in place.
I've got all manner of pneumatic fastening equipment and I'd use screws in this application (it also makes repairs over time easier to perform...)

Screws.

Nails are faster; screws hold better over time. Your call.

Screws are best. You can get all manner of deck screws at www.mcfeelys.com They have better quality that the big box stores. If you want to do a patch job and move next years, nails will be OK, but be sure you get the proper ones that will hold up on a deck.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Stainless steel screws ;)
--
Free men own guns, slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/

Tell you the truth, I don't like SS screws. Go with teh colored ceramic ones. They blend in better with the type of wood/stain you plan to use.
;)
later,
tom @ www.ChopURL.com

I've found the ceramic ones are thin and with a bit of corrosion they will snap off instead of comeing out. If you change them every couple of years before they corrode too much you might be OK but after 20 years most will just snap off when you attempt to remove them.
--
Free men own guns, slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/
How hard would it be to remove the boards you're going to replace?

They are nailed in. I can just pry it up with a crowbar.
Thanks for everyones input.

Pick up a small cats paw at HD. Chould help with areas where a bad board is surrounded by good boards.

hth,
tom @ www.WorkAtHomePlans.com

In addition to the good advice you've already gotten regarding the superiority of screws over nails, I'd like to suggest that if you've never used a nail gun before, you might want to Google up some information about nail gun accidents.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=nail+gun+accident
Then evaluate whether you *really* want to use one. I'm not saying they're unsafe, I'm just pointing out that a lot of inexperienced people manage to find unbelievably creative ways of hurting themselves with nail guns. Don't be one of them.