De-Molding Retro Vinyl Furniture

When it comes to laundering--laundering--upholstered furniture, up to and including every piece of a sleeper sofa, I have done it. I have done it with detergent and a garden hose in 90-degree weather. Never had a problem with residual damp--*IF* done on a string of 90-degree, bone-dry days. I've had the same success with carpets. But I'm up against a thorny problem: a moldy, mildewy, but cosmetically excellent vinyl Barcalounger, probably from the 70's. (The avocado green vinyl and french provincial wood--instead of upholstered--recliner base suggests it's from that era.) I live in the Northeast U.S., where soaking the living daylights out of the underside of the chair, throwing Oxyclean on it, and then letting it bake is not currently an option. I am considering throwing scalding Oxyclean on the underside of the vinyl, hosing it down, and then sticking it in a room with the thermostat turned up to 90.

Friends say just take it to a car wash, to which I've replied I don't think even 70's vinyl (pretty indestructible) could withstand that. So if anyone here has ever owned a restaurant with vinyl booths, or commercial minimalist couches--or anything vinyl that became truly rank but that you did not want to part with--and if you have suggestions on how to get vinyl upholstery truly clean, I'd appreciate hearing from you. It goes without saying that I'm not interested in Febreze. Thanks!

Reply to
Alls Quiet

Vinyl that old is likely to be very fragile because the plasticizers that were used to process the PVC into flexible sheet material can evaporate slowly over the years. Consider doing some serious research into vinyl restoration products. ServPro or other disaster remediation companies may offer some clues since their business is oriented that way. Give Google a go with 'vinyl restoration' and see what leads there are. Good luck.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

I don't know if this will actually work in your situation, but I have had good luck "restoring" old automotive vinyl by getting some mechanic's hand cleaner with lanolin, and rubbing that in, scrubbing with old toothbrush, buffing with soft cloth, lather, rinse, repeat. Not only does it clean the vinyl but it seems to condition it and restore the original color as well. Now whether or not it will remove the mold, I don't know.

nate

Reply to
N8N

Joe and Nate, thanks for the suggestions. I came up with a wild idea, but when it comes to clean upholstery, no idea is too wild for me. I'm getting a kid's plastic swimming pool and setting it up in my kitchen (the recliner's too wide to fit through the bathroom door). I'm doing the scalding Oxy-Clean solution, and then shop vac-ing the dirty water, and then the rinse water, from the pool. Then, I'll keep the recliner tilted vinyl-side downward, letting the air dry the washed "underbelly."

I call this fun with obsessive compulsive disorder :) At least I have no bed bugs, though!

Reply to
Alls Quiet