DE Filter - How to measure pounds?

I'm new to this and the contractor didn't explain, or I didn't hear him. My Hayward DE filter requires 7.5 lbs of DE to be added after backwashing. Is there a simple way to measure pounds by volume? I already read the coffee can tip (10 ozs per can), but we don't drink coffee, so no cans. Argh! Thanks for any help.
pyronn writes:

Did you perhaps go to public school?
Richard J Kinch wrote:

And unless you know the volume of a coffee tin, how are you going to do the math?
Sorry Richard I don't have an answer.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Look on the name plate of your filter to find out how many sq. ft. your filter is (probably 48). Go to your pool supply store (Leslie's or what ever) and ask them. They probably have a measuring cup they will sell you and tell you how many scoops to use.

Coffee and DE have different densities so it may or may not be 10 oz.
Do you have access to a scale? Weigh a container (margarine tub, sour cream container, etc) and figure from there. Ed
There is an amazing thing called a scale, its been in use for thousands of years and has been the basis of trade for 5000 years. Unless of course you live in a cave.
pyronn wrote:

DE comes in bags of 10 lbs. Use 3/4 of a 10 lb bag and you will be close enough. It won't hurt if you are off by 1/2 pound.