Dark stains around the house

Hi, My sister is currently living in a home and has noticed dark stains appearing on many of the ceilings/wall (particularly at the interface).

The house is heated by forced hot water. The furnace burns natural gas. It is a 1 level house. Some candles are burned (tea lights, scented candles). She states that maybe twice a week she uses candles but for a relatively short amount of time.

Many of the stains are in rooms that do not have candles burning.

Please help,

David Walker

Reply to
DaveWalker

Have you tried cleaning it? My guess is soot from the candles. Just look at what comes off one when burning by holding a piece of drywall or other non flammable material over it. In a minute you will probably decide never to burn a candle again.

The soot is hot and floats up in the air to be deposited just where you see it. It is not visible as it is burning, but over time, think about the pounds of burnt wax leaving residue in your home. Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net

Edwin Pawlowski

It's called sooting or streaking. With all due respect to Sis, she probably is burning cheap imported candles from China.

I am looking for the report I had on it and will post it as soon as I find it.

Reply to
HeatMan

FOUND IT!

Sorry about the yelling.