damage from ethanol?

Page 7 of 7

Take the Bush speach yesterday for instance. How many networks broadcast it? Several. And how many broadcast the Democratic party response by Senator Reid? One. Still think the networks are biased against Bush? The networks make no pretense of balanced coverage, and they haven't for years.
Bob

Not having seen the report, I'd remark/ask questions on the following:
1) Comparing what are probably two-stroke with oil mixed in is not a fair comparison with a 4 stroke car engine.
2) Where did he get his ethanol from? How much water did it have? This is more likely to be the cause of blistering/corrosion than anything else.
3) Did he retune the engines properly for the different mixes? Increased heating is more suggestive of bad tuning - ethanol should be cooler.
4) Comparing engines that have virtually _no_ consideration of ethanol fuels in their design to engines that do isn't a reasonable test.
5) "Swelling of the carburettor?" A metal carb swelled? I don't think so. Suggestive of plastic (especially nylon) carb parts. Nylon swells when wet with water or alcohol. Engines designed for ethanol should not have nylon in its fuel system.
Ethanol works just fine in engines provided that the engine designer has taken a few things into account. For example, one of the things that used to happen is clogged carbs after a car switched from gas to a ethanol blend. You see, if there's water present, the ethanol will pick it up. If the car had a paper fuel filter, the water would cause it to disintegrate, and the paper sludge could plug things up.
If you had picked up gas from a tank that just switched to an ethanol blend, there can be an enormous amount of water in it (I'm told that these tanks can sometimes have several inches or more of water in the bottom. Which is only a problem with straight-gas if the gas level is very low and/or recently disturbed. Ethanol will simply suck it all up.
They don't make fuel filters that way anymore.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
You CANT increase production of oil indefinely, it has a finite amount in the earth, and will only cost more in the future.