damage from ethanol?

Page 4 of 7
On 10-May-2006, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Before you get all hot and bothered about the use of solar hydrogen, or any other solar energy source (including ethanol), consider how many acres of land you need to use to capture the amount of energy currently being used (and mostly wasted) with petroleum. Solar is limited by how much land we are willing to convert to energy production. Realistically, none of these technologies to reduce oil dependency will work unless people stop wasting so much energy. You don't need a 6000lb truck to take the kids to soccer practice.
Mike
i find alot of chainsaws and weedwackers wont restart when hot because the ethenol/gas boils and wont pump... let em cool and they start and run fine. lucas
On Wed, 10 May 2006 21:44:21 GMT, Mys Terry

How will you fund the "Ponzi" social programs that are based on exporential worker growth? (Social Security in the US or the policy in most of western Europe) It is going to take a lot of new <tax paying> workers to make our government's promises come true.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com writes:

The short term lack of workers will lead to a long term solution to many problems.
The idea that we can just keep growing without limit is the real Ponzi scheme.

And if we'd drill in ANWR and the Gulf for oil,and process oil-shale,it would not be $50 a bbl. OPEC would have to lower their price because of supply and demand changes,and we would not be paying adversaries(hostiles) large sums of money.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

The last one In retrospect dumping the salt OUT OF the bags into wheel barrow ( clean) spreading around the pool with shovel might of been a better idea, to bad I didn't think of that.

No... That is the problem that overshadows and dwarfs all the other problems. There is no energy problem. It's a pimple on the ass of the population problem.
Terry & Skipper, Clearlake Texas

Not really. With a declining population, alternative solutions have a chance of meeting demand. With a growing population, no matter what solutions are tried, sooner or later, we run out of resources.

Cut all you want. With more and more people, in the long run, something breaks.

And the cost of the "plant". Bear in mind most "sunny" places also have exciting weather. I had 2 hits and 4 close misses from hurricanes in 2 years. My solar took a beating and it is low tech stuff. Glad I didn't have a hundred grand on my roof.
On 10 May 2006 07:08:35 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

You meann nuclear power? The electricity generated at nuclear power plants is no better at splitting water into hydrogen and oxygen than is any other electricity.
Hydrogen doesn't have any other relationship with nuclear power plants.
(except that if cold fusion is ever developed, it will *use* hydrogen, not generate it.)

It's no less of a problem then, except generation of electricy might be cheaper, especially as the cost of oil goes up. We could also burn coal to make eletricity to generate hydrogen.

If you have the electricity to make hydrogen, what do you need the hydrogen for?
Goedjn wrote:

Energy use is in several forms, not all of which can be met with wires that carry electricity.
Petrochemicals (oil related, ethanol) are easily transportable, have high energy density, and allow things like cars, truck, trains and airplanes to run. A viable alternative MAY be hydrogen, if we can figure out how to generate, store, and transport it safely and cost effectively
Electricity can be generated using many source fuels, falling water, coal, petrochemicals, nuclear to name the most popular. Electrical generation of hydrogen is possible, but at what cost?????

Batteries can store and transport electrical energy safely and have been doing that for a long time. We are now seeing advanced battery technology - e.g. lithium that can be recharged in a few minutes - and the technology can be improved further.
So - why do we need hydrogen? Batteries can return a huge percentage of the energy you put into them.. PEM fuel cells _might_ hit 50% efficiency sometime in the next decade.
We don't need hydrogen. The hydrogen economy is a scam.
Mike

Wise words. I am rethinking electric cars. If you don't drive that far it is a viable option. The problem is we are only moving the "gasoline" problem to the electrical grid. Same shit, different smoke stack.

The last one In retrospect dumping the salt OUT OF the bags into wheel barrow ( clean) spreading around the pool with shovel might of been a better idea, to bad I didn't think of that.

Then why aren't we using it? The Federal Government promised to take care of the remains of the Yankee Nuke Plant when it was decommissioned. When the time came, they simply came in and said, "Okay, we're responsible now", and left everything sitting exactly where it was onsite. They did not move one drum 5 feet from where it was sitting, much less transport anything to Yucca Mountain.
Terry & Skipper, Clearlake Texas
Mys Terry wrote:

We aren't using Yucca because anti-nuclear obstructionists have done everything they can to stop it or slow it down. It would have been done 10 years ago, if not for that. Some anti-nuke person wrote a letter to the local paper along the lines of the above, blaming the federal govt for not having a safe disposal, why they are the ones responsible for all the delays.
On 11 May 2006 04:32:06 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

The fact remains, there is no safe storage of the remains being done, regardless of the reason, or reasons, or excuses. It's not happening. There is plenty of blame to go around, and fingers pointing in a cross fire, but its not happening. Get it?
snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net writes:

If you remember the Bush / Kerry presidential debates, it was Bush that made political hay out of saying he would not authorize the use of Yucca mountain.
Is he the anti-nuclear obstructionist you are thinking of?
On 10-May-2006, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Exactly right, whether battery or hydrogen. If you work out how much electricity is equired to replace gas, you see that the amount of power to be produced is enormous. We're not talking about one or two more nukes - we're talking about more than doubling existing electrical capacity!
Mike