Cutting openings in sheet metal ducts.

Page 2 of 2
HVAC guys use offset tin shears, which come with red or green handles.
--

Christopher A. Young
.

"BETA-32" < snipped-for-privacy@betabcghfdsa.cba> wrote in message
The HVAC crew that installed my new furnace last week did as others have described here. Used a hammered cutter to make a simple slit in the sheet metal, then used offset tin snips (they'll save your hands a lot of cuts) to make the rectangular opening.

BETA-32 wrote:

Why are you doing this?

To provide heat and AC to a basement. The basement currently has supply and return ducts running across the ceiling, but there are no supply vents or return vents.
I just did the tin snips routine today and it worked without too much trouble. I also did what someone else here suggested and folded back a tab of the sheet metal on each end to create a double thickness and make the opening more rigid. That worked well too.