Cutting openings in sheet metal ducts.

Visited the HVAC parts supplies shop recently. Saw a strange 12 inch screwdriver like tool that has a sharpened V shaped notch just behind the 1/2 inch blade. So I asked what for and how does one use this tool?

The tool is used to cut openings, straight lined or curved, in HVAC sheet metal ducts. Use the front of the blade to punch a slot hole into the metal. Hook the notch over the sheet metal. Hammer on the flat of the screwdrivers's shaft just behind the notched part. The notch will cut cleanly along the path of the blows.

Ingeneous!

Reply to
PaPaPeng

Yes there are hand tools for this.

Why are you doing this?

Reply to
wingnut

Tin snips.

To provide heat and AC to a basement. The basement currently has supply and return ducts running across the ceiling, but there are no supply vents or return vents.

I just did the tin snips routine today and it worked without too much trouble. I also did what someone else here suggested and folded back a tab of the sheet metal on each end to create a double thickness and make the opening more rigid. That worked well too.

Reply to
BETA-32