Cutting mortar from brick?

I have tried cutting bad mortar from old brick and I can't seem to get the circular saw to stay in the groove. Anyone got any ideas? Thanks

Is that a tool that's normally used for this purpose? Seems strange.

I've never done it but yes it has been described by a contractor to me as a way to remove all the mortar to a pretty good depth. I assumed he would freehand it but some kind of clamp on guide bar would help.
Do you have a long pipe clamp you can put on the whole row. Is it a wall or chimney?
Use a hand held angle grinder 4.5" with a diamond blade <http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/accessory_category_detail.asp?categoryID85> installed....works beautifully!
I also recommend the angle grinder with a diamond blade.