Cutting hardwood around fireplace hearth - what power tool?

Hi...I have to replace some hardwood floors in an older home. The Fireplace hearth is sitting on top of the hardwood floors, meaning that pieces of hardwood extend in under the hearth/fireplace.
What is the best approach to cutting the hardwood away from the hearth? I guess what I am asking is what is the best tool to use that will cause the least amount of damage to the hearth. The hearth is oak.
Thanks,

An oscillating multifunction tool, such as the Fein Multimaster (expensive) or one of the similar tools made by Bosch, Rockwell, etc.
On 1/18/2010 11:29 AM RicodJour spake thus:

Don't forget Harbor Freight.

- a Usenet "apology"

Yes, they have a $40 oscillating tool. A good tool to see if you like and warrant a more expensive one. When mine dies I'll be getting one of the quality ones mentioned above.
    http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumberg256     http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumberg537
There's also a toekick saw (I've never used or looked into it in detail) which may fit the bill but I bet an oscillating tool would be a lot more useful all around.
    http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber626
Red Green wrote:

Hey! I learned something new! I had no idea WTF a toekick saw was and had to search. I'm sure there are others who were just as puzzled as I.
http://toolmonger.com/2007/09/04/crain%E2%80%99s-toe-kick-saw-fits-where-others-wont /
http://tinyurl.com/yc2fwtj
TDD

Haven't worn out my HF multitool yet, in spite of loaning it out all over the neighborhood. One of the more enthusiastic borrowers is a Fastenal employee who has access to all manner of commercial tool delights. The way things are going, when the little jewel dies it would make sense to just buy another one. Later, if projects need more finesse, the Fein would a good choice.
Joe

A cutoff tool. You will have to make a couple of cuts one 1/4 inch away from the hearth, and then a second one after the main floor is removed to get that last 1/4 inch inch.